1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Woes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 72randy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While on a road trip to Florida in November we found the triangular warning light lit up indicating that the coolant was getting over heated. We went to a dealer In Melbourne and were told it was a problem with part of the computer system and it would cost us $2253! This was the seventh Toyota in our lives with never a problem other than regular maintenance. We did not want to get stuck on the way home to Virginia so paid the bill. Several workers at the Melbourne Toyota said that they had never heard of this kind of problem with a Prius.

After returning home the warning light went on again indicating the same problem. They said we had a leaking water pump. Also that the Hybrid Electric Water Pump (HV Water Pump) was being replaced gratis since they had news that Toyota was recalling it for our model and year 2005. This all cost $337.

I wrote to Toyota complaining about the huge bill and that I was no longer able to recommend the Prius after having recommended their products for 40 years. They responded that they were sorry about our problems but they could do nothing about it.

Yesterday we received the official notification that our HV Water Pump would be replaced gratis and that the sign that this may need to be replaced is that the warning light which would indicate the coolant was getting over heated.

Now I'm sure you can understand the dawning taking place in our heads. Was this oroblem just due to the HY Water Pump and we paid
    The nearly $3000 bills because of the origional misdiagnosis. We'd love to hear what you knowledgable people think about this.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most likely you were taken by the repair dealer. The HV coolant pump in the Gen II Prius can form a bubble that interferes with coolant flow and leads to eventual failure of the pump. Lack of cooling causes the HV inverter to shut down when it overheats. Presumably that was the "computer system" part that they replaced.

The replacement was probably not necessary, but it's impossible to say without more data. It is possible that overheating killed the inverter, requiring replacement. The replacement, however, didn't address the underlying problem, which was the bad pump.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about what you've had to go through.
    I'm just so surprised that this happened to you, I've had all three generations of the Prius and the oldest one (2001 with 150,000) was running like new. I wish i could help. Sorry.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, that's sure what it sounds like Randy. Do you have an invoice showing exactly what their "problem with part of the computer system" repair involved? I think it's a pretty safe bet that it never needed to be done.

5. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wrote to the Melbourne dealership explained my story and told them I wanted proof that this work was necessary. All I can do at this time is wait. I'll share what I get with you all. Thanks for your posts.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please refer to your repair invoice and tell us:

1. Part number and description of replaced parts
    2. The DTC logged by your vehicle

Then we can tell you if the original problem was related to the inverter coolant pump or not.

7. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the DTC you mention?

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Diagnostic Trouble Code. For example, P0a93 is the DTC for inverter cooling pump failure.

Vehicle computers almost never fail in the course of normal operation. The Melbourne service department completely misdiagnosed your problem. Please do press your case with the Melbourne dealer and Toyota corporate. File complaints with the city, state, BBB, etc. Don't take no for an answer, as you are 100% in the right.

9. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you mind if I used your posts here to send as helpful information to our case with Consumer Protection?

10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not a problem with me. It might mean higher labor costs in the long run for consumers, but dealers need to start paying better to attract more qualified diagnostic technicians and get rid of the parts changers. What computer was it that they replaced?

1 person likes this.
  11. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I have on the part replaced:

QTY FP NUMBER DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE
    1 89540-47130 COMPUTER. ASSY SK $1,710.71

Of course installation cost etc. amounting to $2253.36
    Thanks for all your help.

14. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The part replaced is as follows:

QTY FP NUMBER DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE
    1 89540-47i30 Computer Assy, SK 171071

Of course plus labor and taxes.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is the skid control ECU. MSRP is $1,508. Does your repair invoice show any DTC listed?

1. The triangle-shaped warning icon is the master warning light. Its purpose is to alert you that there is a problem. You need to look around at the other warning lights and any icons or messages on the MFD to determine what the problem is.

2. I am wondering what evidence you received to decide that coolant was overheated? Failure of the skid control ECU would not cause any system to overheat. It would cause your braking system to be impaired.

3. Since the skid control ECU was replaced, I assume that one or more of the following warning lights were on: ABS, VSC, BRAKE, or the ((!)) light. Do you recall seeing any of those lights on?

17. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With the IC pump DTC, the DC-DC converter shuts down and a weak 12V goes by the wayside in short order. With the 12V failing while the car is still moving under power, many of the computer systems will set DTCs for low voltage. OP made it from Melbourne to home on a failed IC pump without codes due to code reset and cold weather.

18. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got a call from the Melbourne Toyota saying that they would send me proof that the computer part had to be replaced. As soon as I get it I'll get it to this forum to see what you think of it.

19. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Melbourne Toyota is supposed to be sending me all the documents regarding the replacement of the computer assembly. When I get it I'd like you guys to tell me what you think about it. OK?

20. 72randy

72randy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was told by Toyota in Melbourne that they would send me the info which will prove it was necessary to do the work they did. I'll send it along to you guys for comments when received if that's OK.