1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius won't start, Check Engine light on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cammons, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cammons

Cammons New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

To start off, I've owned my Prius since it was purchased brand new in 2005. It has about 110,000 miles on it and there has never been any major problems.

This morning I had taken it to the gas station to fill up and came right back home. I was planning on getting an oil change today. I tried to drive it a couple hours after I got home from the gas station and it would not start. There's a tiny, very faint buzzing sound when I hit the On button and the Check Engine light comes on, but nothing else. No flashing lights, no other notices of concern. The key works to unlock the doors, but not to lock. I don't know if that has anything to do with my windows being rolled down though. Nothing else works when the car is powered on, like windows, door locks, headlights, blinkers etc. The hazard lights still work.

I know absolutely nothing about cars. And it's in my garage so I don't have enough room to try to jump the battery with another car to see if that helps.

I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow, but any ideas on what the problem may be or suggestions? :confused:

Very sorry I joined under these circumstances.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check the 12V. This runs the PC. If it is low then all commands will not tell the car what to do. If you have a multi meter check the 12V to insure it is putting out more than 12 volts. If not, you could jump start it if you under stand the procedures ,if you don't then get help! H

3. Cammons

Cammons New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help! I understand how to jump start it, but I'm beginning to think that's not the problem, as the key works to unlock the doors.

And after trying to turn it on again, the overhead cab lights work, and the green light on the Parking button is flashing.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it still can be the 12V, it may have enough power to unlock the doors and run the lights but not enough to start the computers.

I have a post explaining how to get the Optima for under $125 but unless you have an advance auto near you and one that carries the Optima that Johnston controls custom makes for us, you're going to have to wait for one to come in the mail.

or you can spend more money on a far inferior toyota battery.

5. Cammons

Cammons New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jumpstarting it worked. Thanks for all the help and advice!

6. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this isn't a new battery it should be on the top of your "to do" list.