1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Shermanator, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Shermanator

Shermanator New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I found a 2005 prius w/23k on the clock, asking $10k, and clean car fax.
    I'm serious considering the car, my question is should I look for a newer prius?
    Will the batteries hold out? What are any potential problems I should be aware of?
    Are a low mile prius a bad idea due to low battery use?
    I'm a good wrencher and can do a lot of my own maintenance.
    I don't drive lots of miles and the thought of buying a newer prius and having it deprciate
    in the garage seems like a waste of money.

Thanks for your time.
    Mike

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Price looks reasonable for the prius...ive seen them go between $10000-$14000 depending on miles/condition...
    It may need a new 12v small battery replacement...given its now 8 years old...(located in the back right underside...beside the spare tire...) the high voltage battery behind the back seat should be fine...i have an 04 the daughter has and its got 200,000 miles on the big battery with no problem...with only 23k miles on it...that sounds like a gem as long as it hasnt been wrecked and has a clean title...hopefully it has had good oil change intervals...
    oil capacity is 3.75-3.9 qts only ...not 4...that will overfill and cause MAF problems...brakes should last 100000miles plus unless they were abused...i would check the tires for wear and make sure alignment is good.. check to see if it has HID headlights or halogen...HIDs are a pain...and expensive to replace...if you have Navigation in it...toyotas nav is somewhat left to be desired...in my book garmin is better...No in the 2004-05 both years had some issues with the multifunction display in the middle of the dash...above the radio...there is a cold solder joint in there that cause the display to go bad...so see if that was replaced or fixed...otherwise you will have to pull it out and solder the joint yourself...other than that...sounds like a pretty good deal...

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    an 05 w/23k for 10k w/a clean CarFax sounds like a real deal. Great find! Wise choice over a new one. The saved $15k is enough for another one. Was it owned by a little old lady who garage kept it too? lol.

I love my 05 and have put almost 10k on it since I purchased it with 96k miles on it. No problems at all and average 50 mpg when I drive it. My son typically gets 55-60 mpg and recently got his personal best of 67 mpg on a 60 mile trip. My wife gets 45 mpg and is thrilled. So am I.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't drive alot of miles an 8 year old Prius is probably not a good choice. You will not see alot of return on your good mileage which moots the whole reason you buy the car. And your right about the hybrid battery only for the fact its so old and sat alot. There could be alot of corrosion inside that battery case. Probably needs 12 volt battery, tires and a full tune up on the fluids too due to its age.
    Prius dealer that's about $1200. plus whatever else they find poking around in it.

If it were me for $10K I would buy a really clean used late model Camry etc. Lot less headaches and the roll of the used car dice is much more in your favor.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds like a great deal to me. @ $10K, you really can't go wrong (especially if you glean info off of this site and apply it). If its clean and looks well taken care of, I'd buy it.

PS: If you don't buy it, let me know where it is and I may.

6. Shermanator

Shermanator New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom and encouragement, the vehicle sold this past weekend.
    The search continues!

7. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm not surprised. The best deals don't usually last long. But more will come up.

When I first stated looking for one I missed several because I was reluctant to "pull the trigger" because of my lack of knowledge of the car. PriusChat helped a lot with that, providing the knowledge I needed to bring me up to speed in my comfort level. Baring some obvious signs, with a Prius if it looks like a good deal it most likely is. Good hunting.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really slowed down here. There's a car lot around the corner here and he has had 5 Gen II's on point in the lot for a month now. They look nice but may have really high miles.

9. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah, really high miles and the rising prices with gas prices may be discouraging buyers. Of course the traditional view of high miles is a factor for the Prius uninitiated. But it also seem like the prices are higher today than when I was looking in the fall. I'm just glad I bought when I did.