1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 rear passenger side hub assembly

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Marc B., Jan 18, 2014.

1. Marc B.

Marc B. New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So. It looks like I need to replace my rear passenger side hub assembly. I was told by a mechanic at the auto shop that I might need a special press to remove the Part. Is this true in your experience? If I can do it together with my father-in-law I can save myself almost $200.00. I found one YouTube video that seems to show the removal of a front tire hub assembly and it didn't appear that he used any special press. Is the rear assembly completely different or is it pretty much the same? I'm NOT a mechanic so sorry if my ignorance is showing through here.

Also, in some other posts I saw some mention of disconnecting a battery when the work one is doing on their car involves removing or fiddling with the calipers. Is that true in this case as well?

Thanks.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The rear hub is really simple and easy to replace. It consists of the hub itself bearings and wheel flange, with studs. You do not give any clues as to where you are in the world, and as there are differences in the rear brakes. I cannot give more detail without this information, except to say after removal of brake components the hub is held by four bolts and one electrical plug in cable. Tracking does not need to be done after fitting.

John (Britprius)