1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Tax deduction

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Weinerneck, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

Well I just got my copy of Turbo Tax installed on the computer and did a preliminary return. The $2000 deduction gives me a whopping 258 bucks extra in my pocket, and they call this an incentive? I know other people might have a different situation but! I mean my wife and I will make around 64k this year, have two girls, no investments (unless you count our bicycles), own a house (low mortgage) and live check to check for the most part. Don’t get me wrong, we have nothing to complain about and count our blessings after watching everything else in the world going to hell in a hand basket.

But what gulls me is that they tout it as an incentive, why it’s barely half a car payment. And there’s probably someone out there making over twice as much as us, paying less tax and got a better return on there $2000 tax deduction.

Well I have to go to work now, plowing the roads so the G** D** skiers can drive 90 mph, flipping me off because I’m in there way. :p And don’t let me forget the Foooot Ball fan that paid over $200 for his heated seat, :lol: they get just as pissed if you get in there way.

Sorry about that but I feel better now :D

2. notsure

notsure New Member

yep from what I understand it just lowers your taxable income, that is why the amount returned is not that great.

3. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it translates you being in the 13% tax bracket. So on the one hand, you get less of a break, but overall you pay less.

I'll probably see a $700 decrease in my taxes, but I'm in a 35% tax bracket.

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

how do you know what tax braket you are in?

5. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been doing my own taxes for 10 years...also, I'm a doctor, pretty much guarantees I'll be in the top tax bracket.

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I meant, how does one figure out their tax bracket

7. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ohh, well it can get complicated. You need to figure out your taxable income which is different than your total income. Taxable is just minus deductions. Then the IRS has tax tables that you look up your tax.

This is a 13 page PDF file from the IRS website.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

If you look at the last page(13) it gives the general tax brackets for income.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Ohh, I understand that. I just thought there was some magical IRS formula for some magical IRS table.
    Thanks!

9. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

It's good to see the working class driving a Prius but because we fall in the mid to lower tax brackets we won't see the benefits of owning a hybrid until we pay off our car loans.

10. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, lower emissions and gas savings are benefits you enjoy right away! :)

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Mikemd I surely hope you are an employee, unlike many docs who are self-employed. It is the SE who really should go to a tax pro in order to pay as little as legally possible.

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Did you NOT know this when you bought the car. Was it really a surpise? Considering how hard it is to get the feds to give back ANY money, you did better than some.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well it's better to get even a small tax deduction than nothing at all. Gift horse...

14. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am an employee :) , my uncle is SE, more like an LLP, he's always telling me ways to beat the system, I think he deducts cars, meals, gas...everything.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you consider your own selfish interests, we all would like whopping deductions for whatever we buy. But if you consider the national interest, What possible reason can there be for giving anyone an incentive to buy a car whose demand far exceeds its supply?

The point of an incentive would be to convince people to switch to a cleaner, more efficient technology. But with Toyota selling every Prius it can build months before the parts even reach the assembly plant, no incentive is going to result in additional Priuses on the road.

So it's just a give-away that takes money out of the federal coffers and does no good for the nation or the environment. Buying in '04 I got a $500 reduction in my tax bill. Hey, if they'll give it to me, I'll take it. But it was a pretty pointless thing to do because there were planty of people who would have snapped up my car if I had not bought it. This car does not need incentives for people to buy it. What it needs are a bunch more factories making it.

16. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But...it allows the current administration to tout it's conservation credentials. Another thing it may do is give an incentive to consumers to buy American built hybrids, which 1) are lacking in number and 2) lacking in quality.

I'm sure you not surprised that this administration would give a tax break...they seem to believe the way to handle all domestic issues is with a tax break.

17. TidelandAZ

TidelandAZ New Member

Don't forget to compare your Sales Tax deduction vs State Income Tax deductions. From what I understand, you won't be able to write off sales tax in '06.

You probably paid a fair amount of tax when you purchased your car, so check it out!

18. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you may write off one or the other, but not both.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, you shoudl write off whichever is higher. You cannot write off both though. Plus if you live in a state like FLorida, where there is no state tax, it's a freebie. We just bought a house this year, plus all the things to fill it, plus a car, plus all the usual things. Huge deductions for us.

20. ChrisA

ChrisA New Member

There is a change for the 2006 calendar year, instead of a tax incentive there is a tax credit. For the Prius, the credit is the maximum for any of the available hybrids (3150.00). From what I have read, this comes right off the top of what you owe/receive. Here is a link to to another web site that discusses the credit.

http://www.hybridcars.com/tax-deductions-c...ts.html#current