1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 transaxle replaced now code P0AA6-524613

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Boadie, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Boadie

Boadie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    my Prius probably has around 420,000 miles on her. Transmission started acting erratic. Never threw a code though. Took the car to a mechanic that’s very familiar with it. He said it’s the transmission. Bought a used one with 125,000 miles on it. He put it in and now she runs fine until you turn it off and go to restart her she throws the code P0AA6-524613. Took her to Toyota to see if they can figure it out but they say same code and the transaxle has to replaced. I’m not paying for another take out and installation for another used transmission. Hoping something wasn’t connected or something else is wrong. Any suggestions of what else this could possibly be would be greatly appreciated. I’m at my wits end. She is my mail vehicle that I use for work.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a tip for getting better information in searches: the second position in a trouble is never anything but digit 0, 1, 2, or 3. It's never a letter O, so if you search for P0AA6 instead of P0AA6, you get more useful info.

613 does indicate an electrical isolation problem in the transaxle area.

[​IMG]

The area includes the orange wiring between the inverter and the transaxle, and a little of the inverter itself. It might be possible that the transaxle replacement was done sloppily and there is some easier-to-correct problem that's not in the replacement transaxle itself. But anyway, someone would have to make tests and find out, and that should be someone with the tools (such as a megger), protective wear, and knowledge to do the testing safely.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P3009 was the code used in the Gen 1 Prius to mean the same thing, because back then SAE hadn't yet assigned a code in the standardized P0 space to mean that. In Gen 2 and later, Toyota has used the SAE standard P0AA6 code.

5. Boadie

Boadie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I read over the 18 pages it keeps referring to insulation? What exactly is this meaning?

#5 Boadie, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2022
  6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In this case, think of it as HV leaking into an area that wouldn't normally expect to see such, which then throws a DTC for an 'isolation fault'.