1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Why Doth the Bluetooth Stink?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priuscat, Aug 8, 2006.

1. priuscat

priuscat New Member

When calling out from my Prius, I find that I frequently don't ever hear the phone ringing on the other end. The person picks up and only then does the Bluetooth indicate the call has begun.

So what happens is I dial, hear an extended period of silence (while I'd usually hear the phone ringing on the other end if I were using my phone directly instead of Bluetooth) and then it "connects" the audio from the phone. Usually by this point the person picking up the phone has also said "Hello" but I don't hear that either. Of course, this makes beginning a phone conversation while in the Prius very spotty.

Can this be fixed? Very annoying.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you dialing from the phone, from the MFD key pad, what? What phone...80% of all BT issues are due to the phone and not the Prius BT system... 10% operator error and 10% weirdness of the system.

If you're dialing from the phone then you will definately have the type of delay you're describing and I do not think there's a fix for that. I dial from the touch screen and have no issues.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What model/brand phone and service do you have? it might effect the results. personally, i'm having no trouble with my VX8100 from verizon. there is occasionally a very short delay before the bluetooth picks it up, but thats usually less time than it takes for it to ring once.

4. priuscat

priuscat New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm dialing from the phone most of the time, so maybe that's the issue. It's often not feasible for me to use the MFD for many reasons. Most of the time I'm doing the dialing from my phone of a number that we don't have programmed, as I return calls often on my commute home, when my husband's driving the Prius.

Oh, and I'm using a Motorola v555.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priuscat @ Aug 8 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]299701[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, that's your issue, the handshake/exchange from phone to BT is the delay and that can't be fixed if you're dialing from the phone. I use the v515 and have no issues, but have the same symptom when I dial from the phone.

If you frequently need to dial from the phone you should consider some of the solutions to override the speed sensor wire for the BT phone when you want to dial from the number pad on the MFD.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 8 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]299694[/snapback]</div>
    Reverse that ratio, and you're pretty accurate... 80% of all BT issues are due to the Prius, unfortunately.

Part of the problem with the "pickup problem" when dialing from the phone is due to the fact that the Prius doesn't want to pick up until after a connection has been established. That's different than how most (all) headsets work... you hear the ringing through those.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 8 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]299722[/snapback]</div>

A quick look at Jonnycat's posts reveals that he's much of the 'cup half-full' guy when it comes to Prius. My experience with Prius using 3 different BT phones is that it works quite well, and quite reliably and the major issues I've occasionally encountered were attributable to the phone or operator (me or my wife namely).

It is, by no means, a perfect BT system, and I'm not trying to claim that it is, but I think it works pretty well. The delay is annoying, but it isn't b/c the BT doesn't 'want' to take the handshake, there is just a delay in making it happen.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 8 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]299739[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, I'm critical of the car, there's room for improvement with it.

However, I know my mobile phones, and I know my bluetooth. And more importantly, I have a pretty good idea about how the protocol is supposed to work, Dr. Fusco.

When a connection is established between the HS (in this case the Prius) and the mobile when the mobile has established the connection, after the inital handshake has been established unsolicited RING codes (this is a result code, not a physical ring) are the mobile to the HS. In most cases the HS will provide feedback that a call is in progress by playing an ack tone in the headset (most are beeps, some are tones, but you get the idea). It's also a good idea for the HS to send a command to the phone to establish the audio connection immediately if it's not going to be providing feedback.

The guys who implemented this on the Prius clearly intended for the car to initiate most of the calls, and didn't really test the opposite direction.

9. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 8 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]299695[/snapback]</div>

Same here with my Motorola E815/Verizon in a 2005 Prius.