1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 with several issues-- help!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by EVs on the brain, Mar 3, 2010.

1. EVs on the brain

EVs on the brain New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi-- I live in Los Angeles, and just got a 2005 Prius, with no owner's manual, 56,000 miles, and several problems, despite the fact that I like the car otherwise and want to keep it and get everything running properly.

Most importantly, I parked two days ago, listened to the radio for several minutes, turned it off and shortly thereafter tried to drive away but the car would not "start". It continually gave me a number of error messages, including "check engine".

I thought I might have to have it towed to the dealer or elsewhere to get it fixed, but the next morning it "started" as if without any problems, and without any error codes. I drove it for more than an hour without problems other than some error codes that appeared and disappeared periodically. Is this a problem with the 12-volt battery, with the main battery, with a bad connection, or maybe something else?

Sometimes the GPS seems to work properly, but after a few minutes it switches from the screen showing the route, to one showing a pattern of arrows in a circle, and I cannot switch it back to the map/ route.

The Bluetooth recognizes my phone, but I still cannot get it to work.

The rear view mirror does not seem to work if I understand how it is supposed to operate-- when I click the button on the bottom of the mirror, a small pilot light glows, but the mirror does not dim regardless of day, night, or whether there is anyone behind me with lights on.

Many companies have a site from which to download info, such as an owner's manual, but I have been unable to find anything like that for the Prius. Is there such a site? I have other cars where the owners have a club in which the owners share the use of a diagnostic tool to sort out problems with the On Board Diagnostics-- is there such a thing for the Prius? Should I instead try to buy a manual on eBay?

I converted a BMW to full electric power-- no engine, gas tank, muffler, etc. It's fast and very powerful-- will burn rubber from 0 to about 40 mph-- but I still have more work to do, such as installing a battery-operated power brake system. (It's on You Tube under "BMW EV Conversion Burns Rubber".) I would eventually like to adapt the Prius to a plug-in hybrid, and eventually to a fully electric plug-in-- no engine or gasoline at all.

It worries me that Toyota denies that there is any need for a brake override for the accelerator-- I hope they finally retrofit ALL of their hybrids to brake override. Especially with no mechanical ignition key... nothing but a button to push... the current system does not inspire absolute confidence. With all the problems with sudden acceleration, the simplest answer would be to put all their customers at ease with brake override-- it would be very expensive no doubt, but could save lives, and could prevent lawsuits that could be even more costly.

I would very much like to meet with other Prius owners in the Los Angeles area, and to form a Prius club if there is not already one.

Thanks!

Bill

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had to replace the 12v battery in my '04 last fall after experiencing similar no start problems and the warning triangle. I also experienced an "unable to shift from park" that went away after disconnecting the 12v battery and then reconnecting it. Replace it before it fails completely and strands you.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your 2005 has a brake override feature. Go floor it and test it yourself.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the 12V battery is probably dying. You can test it yourself without tools using this procedure:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html

The 12V battery is small and easily drained. If you want to listen to the radio the safe way is to shift the car to Park, set the parking brake, and leave it ON ("Ready"), as though you were about to drive it again. That way it will keep the batteries charged up. Of course this should not be done if you are parked in a completely enclosed unventilated space.

Buy an owner's manual either from a dealer or online. It's filled with stuff you need to know. Also, get a Scheduled Maintenance Guide, or see below for the same periodic maintenance info:
    Toyota Parts and Service

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can get an owner's manual here, Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website register and enter your VIN. You may have to download it one chapter at a time though.

I agree with the above posts, you most likely need a 12V battery to start with then clear out all the codes and see what happens. Don't know about the Nav problem but some of the Gen2 electronic forum posts might help you.

Don't worry about the throttle over ride it's really not needed, if you have a stuck throttle (which you won't) hold the shifter in N for 1 second and the car will go to neutral. Even if you didn't do that the brakes are many times more powerful than the engine and will stop the car easily with full throttle applied. Just come down on them really hard so they won't have time to overheat.

F8L (above) says the Gen2 already has a throttle over ride anyway. I never tried that on my Gen2 because I sold the car before the news media decided it was important. :)

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get a hard copy of the 2005 Prius Owner's Manual from Toyota or Toyota dealers for about $16.

As others have suggested, you should consider registering on Toyota Owners Online. Once registered, you can access and download your Owner's Manual on pdf (but it will be broken up into separate little pdfs for each section and subsection of your Manual), obtain your Maintenance Schedule, and get discount service coupons from a Toyota dealer in your area. Also, Toyota Owners Online has the telephone number and address of Toyota where you can buy that hard copy of the Owner's Manual for $16.

Finally, here on one pdf is the 2007 Owner's Manual (together with a Word file of the Manual's Table of Contents). I think that almost all of this 2007 Owner's Manual will be applicable to your 2005.

[​IMG] 2007 Prius Owners Manual.pdf

[​IMG] Table of Contents 2007 Prius Owners Manual.doc