1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 all season or snow tires recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rose G, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Rose G

Rose G New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We can have snow and ice here. NEeding tires. Got told by Sears to put Diehard SIlvers on... not seen them them recommended. 15 in rims. What do you suggest?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's your driving like, daily drive do-or-die, or could you wait out a bit of snow?

I'm a snow tire advocate, not just for snow but for cold enough to be icy conditions. But Missouri's getting pretty far south? The Silvers I think are rated all season, so ok, but not an aggressive tread, softer rubber tire.

There are a few tires positioned between all seasons and snows; you give up a bit of mpg and tread life, but have a grippier 4 season tire. A compromise that allows you to stick with one tire, no swaps and/or extra rims.

Nokian WRG3 is one, maybe the only? Compared to it's 2 predecessor it's supposedly got better mpg. They're an "all weather" tire, for year round but having the mountain/snowflake symbol, so: a tire with the softer, grippier rubber compound.

Considering though their initial higher price, and it's recommended to replace them sooner, not let tread depth drop much. There's special wear indicators on the tread to help with this.

Google the tire for info.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In MO you can get some snow and ICE.... Ewwwwww, ice!

Having owned vehicle with tons of different "winter" tires, I have only been impressed with two (in order):
    1) Bridgestone Blizzaks
    2) Goodyear AquaTread3s

Living in TX for the past number of years, I have not made any attempt to keep current on winter tires, I do know, those are EXCELLENT in both ice and snow.

Now, in MO you don't get what a person living in ND, MN, WI or MI would consider "real winter" and as such full-blown winter (snow/ice) tires are most likely not at all worth the time, effort or cost. However, having your regular set of all-season tires SIPED would be HUGELY BENEFICIAL on both ice and snow.

I had a set of All-Season tires siped when new, WOW! They gripped better than winter tires on ice and were very good in the snow, without sacrificing treadwear. However, you cannot sipe a used tire, the rocks damage the machine's blades, so a new tire only deal.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I go with the Conti True Contacts from TireRack.com on an 2006. Nice thing was we blew a tire out by huge road hazard at 1.9 years old, and TireRack covered a new tire (2-yr warranty). Some expense for install but still OK.

Merkey likes this.