1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 back-up died / then the MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by brayder, Jul 15, 2008.

1. brayder

brayder New Member

About a year ago, the back-up camera on my 2006 starts fritzing. First, every so often, the image would jiggle side to side. That happened occasionally for months. Then, every so often, it would just be static, no image. This became more frequent over the course of a couple months and then every so often it would just be black. This became more frequent to the point that every time I backed up, it was a crap shoot: normal, jiggle, static, or black? Finally, it went black all the time. Once every few months, it will come on as normal. The next time, back to black. I've got 53k miles on it so by the time I took it in, it was past warranty and the dealer wanted $600 to replace it despite the fact that I told him it must be wiring.

So I just got used to not having a backup camera.

Now, the MFD has done the same thing at a much faster pace. It went blank a couple times when I turned on the air, then came back on the next time I started the car. Then it was 50/50 that when I started the car it would come on at all. Then it went permanently blank. The radio/CD still works. The bluetooth still connects to my phone, but I can't talk/hear through the speakerphone. The air/temp buttons on the steering wheel still work.

I know there are a lot of threads about this, but most of them are the '04 MFD Service Bulletin type. I can't find anything like this.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

2. carpedm

carpedm New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Have you found a way to get yours fixed?
    I have '06 Prius and over the weekend MFD failed.
    Nothing on the screen works. It is simply dead with dark black screen that does not respond at all. Mine just passed the 36k warranty mark, so I don't know what to do... I certainly hope that I don't have to shell out 4K to get it fixed.

Please let me know how you were able to take care of your MFD issue!!
    Thanks!!

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds almost like a loose connection in the back. If you're
    handyish, you might be able to refer to Chris's instructions
    and pull the MFD for looksee-and-connector-wiggle to see if you
    can localize it.
    _H*

4. carpedm

carpedm New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Thanks for the tips!
    BTW, not too long ago, I had the dealership to replace my speaker sitting right on top the MFD. Do you think there is a chance that they some how touch the connector while performing the replacement?

Hmm.. I looked at the instruction to take the dashboard out, but it seems like a like of work just get to the back of the MFD.. Aaaarrrrrgggg!!

Thanks for your support.

It seems MFD issues are more common for '04 models than '06 models, right??