1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kchneider, Mar 11, 2018.

1. kchneider

kchneider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just recently had some body work done that took 4 weeks. When I picked up the car, the dash had the red triangle indicating battery issues. That had never happened before. I have had the codes removed but it comes back. It'll start and drive but the battery drains overnight.

I assume it had something to do with it during for so long.

1. Why would this happen?
    2. Is this really a hybrid battery issues or might it be a 12v battery that is giving the problem?
    3. What would be the best way to diagnose this?

Kris

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi Kris,

1. After sitting for 4 weeks, there are probably 2 issues. #1--Most likely your 12v needed charging. The body shop may or may not have done this prior to you retrieving the car. This is speaking from experience. Even a new 12v battery is hard pressed to maintain a suitable charge after sitting for 4 weeks due to parasitic drains of the Prius systems. It would be in your best interest to verify the 12v is charged. #2---if your HV battery is original, any weak modules would probably self discharge significantly over a 4 week period of non-use. This could easily cause enough voltage difference between modules to trigger the P0A80 code, along with a code for the associated weak block, resulting in the red triangle.

2 and 3. The easiest way to find out is to document the codes before resetting them. Post them here. We'll help you sort it out.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. kchneider

kchneider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It is as you say - the code you suggested. You have given me a glimmer of hope TMR-JWAP. It started fine this morning and the battery appeared to be fully green (which has never fully happened ever) but runs a bit rough. Lead on TMR-JWAP!

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry but this is another sign the HV battery is failing. Letting an old battery sit unused is the kiss of death (BTDT). Get the codes read and you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

GOOD LUCK

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing happened to a client's car when it was taken in for painting.

Client called and said, "hey, Joe. My Prius, wouldn't start, and there isn't any lights on the dash, except the open door lights". Got to the body shop, where the car has being parked for almost 2weeks.

Here's what I did:
    1. Checked all the fuses at the hood, and discovered that the AM2 fuse had blown. Removed the fuse, and noticed the slot where the fuse inserts to, had got some corrosion. Cleaned the corrosion up with ABRO electronic spray, and replaced the duse with a good one. All lights came on, and the car was able to be READIED.

It appears such cars, or even conventional ones, tends to fail, as they age, and its kinda a coincidence. Owner wanted me to ascertain if the fuse problem was as a result of the body shop's negligence.
    Some failures aren't anyone's fault. They just happen.

In your case, get the codes read, and post here.

PS: Maybe, as some kind of ....when anyone's car is taken in for a body work, or the car would be in storage for a longtime, ensure you get someone knowledgeable with hybrid cars, to help warm the car for say, 30min or so. That would prevent lots of potential battery issues.

6. kchneider

kchneider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is very helpful. I've got a friend who will be checking all of that with me in the next few days.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AND then get it tested. OR.....if it is the original one, just replace it; you're lucky it lasted that long.

Likely that the body shop had the doors open and closed a LOT without running the car......and ran the battery down.

A healthy, freshly charged 12 V battery should have NO problem just sitting in any car for 4 weeks......if completely undisturbed.

He listed this first and you should check it FIRST. If you over look it, you might be sorry......and poorer for it.

Once you are sure the 12 V is good, you can disconnect it for a few minutes to reset the codes and see if they come back.