1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 - Blower stopped working, for a while...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ttabbal, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

I drove the car in the morning, everything worked fine. Went out in the afternoon and the blower wouldn't run. Tried everything I could think of, still nothing. Drove again in the afternoon to get parts to fix the other car, also with A/C out, and the blower started up and blew nice cold air.

Any ideas? Sounds like it could be a loose or corroded connection. I think I have the platinum warranty, so it should be covered under that. I need to find the paperwork and verify the warranty, 86K, so out of stock warranty I believe. Of course, it works now, so I don't know if they will even look at it.

Is any of this possible to work on without being upside down under the dash? I don't mind working on electronics, but it's a pain to even get to the fuses on this car. I suppose I could remove the front seats. I'm a big guy, so getting to some of this stuff is the hardest part of the job for me.

2. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im having the same problems with my 2005. AC works fine, Blower motor decides it doesnt want to work about once a month. Normally driving over the reflectors on the side of the highway(or hitting a pothole in the road) seems to get it going again. I probably need to change it out, but its a long job.

part is only ~$75 at PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts

3. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

I found an interesting thing when it decided to stop working again today. If I pull the cabin filter and put my hand back there while the AC is on, and tap the fan cage, it spins right up. Sounds like hitting some bumps might work in that case as well. Kinda sounds like the fan is dirty as that sort of thing happens to the fans in my computers if I forget to clean them out. Does anyone have the procedure for pulling the motor and squirrel cage blower out? I'd like to try cleaning it up. No point in buying a new one if I don't need it. Nice to know it's only $75 though.

4. Tommytoes

Tommytoes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The blower on my 2005 stopped, so I checked the cabin filter. It needed replacing, spun up the fan, (power off). Replaced
    with new filter after watching a youtube instructional and every thing is working again. Thanks for this site and all who
    contribute. That saved me a trip to the local dealer and big bucks. It only takes about 2 minutes to replace the filter, not
    including the time to drive to the parts store. Here's the link to the instructional: