1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Brake Pad Thickness?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by auricchio, Aug 24, 2006.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just finished the 5000mi oil change/checkup.

They measured 10mm on the front pads, and 5mm on the rear shoes, said all's well.

What is the initial thickness of the pads and rear linings?

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know what my thicknesses are, but I have changed the brakes on other Japanese cars about half a dozen times and on my Honda motorcycle about a dozen so I know how pads wear and what they look like when they need replaced.

For the first 6 tire rotations I had the brakes checked and always the same "they look good". So I didn't think anything of it. Now on my last wheel rotation I finally did it myself (approximately 60,000 miles) and I thought I'd check the pads.

Well damn, it doesn't even look like they have been used!!!!!! I mean they are brand new looking, probably 3/8 of an inch worth of material on the front, and no adjustment needed in the back! So from my simple observations I think these pads could go 150,000 to 200,000 miles! Now granted most of my miles are highway so the motor/generator does most of my braking, so your results may be different.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    at 5k miles you should have 99.9%-100% brake pads remaining.

i think it was at the 15k that DH mentioned he could still see factory machining marks on ours.

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I expect the pads to last forever, but since they're specifying the depth in millimeters, it'd be nice to know where I am.