1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Clear Bra

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Dec 9, 2005.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know the 2006 change slightly...would that effect the 04-05 clear bras being sold?

2. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have just had a clear bra fitted, and the film can be cut and fitted to any ares on the car you wish. It does not have to be totally pre-cut, although the kits offered for sale without fitting are just that.
    Having seen how the film is stretched and massaged over the contours, I would certainly highly recommend having it professionally fitted!
    I had the front bumper, total bonnet, front guards, mirrors, windscreen pillars, front roof edge, behind door handles, sills, and rear bumper centre all done....most of which was cut and fitted on-site.
    Shop around, and get quotes for whatever coverage you want. If it is done properly, it looks great, and is a good investment.

Regards,
    Sleeka.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They didn't put the film on that middle fin on the front on my 2005, so I think you're OK. The 2005 and 2006 Prius are almost identical for body work. I agree with sleeka, it looks great (invisible) so get it done as soon as you can when you get your new car.

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Yah, don't wait even a month like I did. I already had a few small chips right at the front lip of the hood. No film on my middle grill fin either but I'm going to put the chrome on there so it will be like an '06 in that area.

5. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Damn! how much did you spend for all that. My installers said some people do that much but it's usualy on a Jag, Mercedees or other high-dollar vehicle. I only wish they could get a piece big enough to cover the whole hood. Mine stops at the top of the lights. You wouldn't even see it at all if they did the whole thing. I got my mirrors done for free.

6. notsure

notsure New Member

I am thinking of doing the entire bonnet also, so would be real interested in what that cost. I looked into using a certified installer in Vegas, but concerned if any issues occur I will be in phoenix and not able to get back to the installer. So I might need to drive without protection for 6 hours to get it home to phoenix.
    Thanks

7. notsure

notsure New Member

Should zanio be applied before the clear bra goes on?

8. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the advice. I got my car yesterday and I just bought the bra right now on your advice.

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's better to have raw paint. You can Zaino everything once the paint film is installed.

The only slight precaution is when you're applying the Zaino, or any polish, try to avoid a build-up at the edge of the film. A wad of polish there will make the line more noticeable. Go from the film to the paint and buff lightly along the edge of the film to remove excess polish.

You'll be very happy with the paint protection film.

10. notsure

notsure New Member

It's better to have raw paint. You can Zaino everything once the paint film is installed.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks I am prob going to cover the entire bonnet with the bra.

11. sofsof

sofsof New Member

OK, please educate the ignoramus here.

Is the clear bra the same as paint protection people mention? How much does it usually cost (I am in SoCal) when professionally installed? What parts are covered by most of you? Any disadvantages? Big advantages?

Thanks

12. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My car doesn't wear a bra, so I refuse to call the <a href=\'http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSYWQBNVHBbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_PKD7VS0CHGgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html\' target=\'_blank\'>3M Paint Protection film</a> that. It is a plastic film applied over the paint to protect it from chips and bug damage. It is not a chemical applied to the surface of the paint. It costs several hundred dollars when professionally applied. It is usually put on the hood, front bumper and lower fenders, and the front faces of the side mirrors. It can also be applied to the front pillers and the first foot or so of the roof. Many installers apply it to door edges, too. You can also cover your headlights and fog lights, if you have them.

Every Prius comes with a little. Look at the edge of the rear lower door fames, near the rear wheels. That's paint protection film.

The disadvantage is the extra cost. The advantage in not getting paint chips and seeing the primer through your paint, keeping your new Prius looking new.

13. sofsof

sofsof New Member

Thanks, Bill, for the education. So, how much was that extra cost? ...and which parts of your Prius did you apply it to? Is it visible? Does it present any problems at a car wash?

14. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I paid $650 for the front, mirrors, pillers, roof, trailing door edges, top of rear bumper with extra thick, headlights and foglights. It is almost invisible, but you can see the edge if you look for it, invisible from any distance. It poses no car wash problems, but I try to wash my Silver Cloud myself.

Polish is applied right over film and paint. 3M has a 5 year warranty, and my installer gave it a lifetime warranty. He said he has never had to replace the film, and he usually puts it on Corvettes, BMWs, Jags, etc., who tend to have picky, appearance-concious owners. He said he likes putting film on Prii and Mini Coopers, because their owners so clearly love their cars.

15. sofsof

sofsof New Member

Thanks, Bill.

You seem like such a nice guy. I've been on the forum for a very short time, getting my Barcelona Red Jan.2 (fingers crossed). I always see you trying to answer all kinds of questions and help newbies and oldies alike.

My hat's off to you.

16. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks sofsof. I try to be helpful and contribute when I know something. Likewise, I try to keep my mouth shut (or, rather, fingers still) when contributing would only prove what a fool I am. :rolleyes:

It's good you're on here now, learning lots before you actually get your car. Then the fun begins, turning the theoretical knowledge into hands-on experience.

I continue to learn something new here every day.

17. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My experence.
    I called around and found a place to install it. The guy said that they do not sell the film that most people "find it on the internet somewhere". I did for $170 on ebay. They guy who sold it to me is SUPER nice. Answered every question. The installer guy said they charge $65/hour but didn't say how long it takes to install.
    I work at a vocational education school and I asked one of the auto body guys about it and one of the guys has been doing vinyl graphics for years. He said he would be willing to put it on for me. The ebay seller even said he would be willing to talk to the instructor if he had questions.

The instructor got the side moldings installed for me too. They look great. So I'd see if you have similar place in your area. My school does not charge labor and you get parts at cost. The instructor checks and double checks every bit of work the kids do. I was real freaked about the kids doing the molding, but the instructor would not let the kids do anything without his OK. He made the students redo the tape job several times until it was perfect and was right there to assist in the application of the molding. I'm very happy with their work.

18. nottagasguzzler

nottagasguzzler New Member

Could someone post some pics of what your cars look like with the paint protection film? One installer told me today that the whole front hood didn't need to be done and they can't get the plastic in that large a sheet. Also, anyone know of a good Seattle area installer? Many thanks as I just picked up my Barcelona Red 06 and really want to go driving!

19. notsure

notsure New Member

The installer here in phoenix says there is a normal install 18 inches and an extended install 24 inches. If you want your whole hood done there would be a seam. They say it would be hard to see.

Measure 24 inches and see how much that would cover.

Go to http://solutions.3m.com/en_US/Products/ click on automotive, paint protection find a professional installer. This will give you certified installers in your area.

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here they are, mate. I've taken pics of the 3 different areas the clear mask was applied. In each case there's a close up and a photo from a few feet back.

Attached Files: