1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Factory EV Button (How to use?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by porschett, Jul 22, 2006.

1. porschett

porschett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi guys,

I've been going over all the messages here and have learned a lot about the Prius. Just got my Black 06 a few weeks ago and installed the factory EV switch tonight.

I'm not sure if it's a 06 thing, but when I turn on the IG and press the EV switch: 1) I don't get a single beep. 2) The MFD says "Cannot change to EV mode now" (SOC is 4 bar)

But when driving < 34 MPH when the ICE is on, pressing the EV switch immediate kills the engine and I'm on stealth mode (but I still don't get the single beep)

When EV does turn off (either hard acceleration or SOC < 3 bar), I do get the 3 beeps indicating that EV is off.

So my questions are:

1) Why can't I be in EV mode as soon as I press the IG (I waited until after the Toyota logo has disappeared and before the ICE turns on)?

2) Why don't I get the single beep indicating EV is on?

I've done the search and it looks like a lot of the results are for the Gen 1 cars.

Thanks.

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

When you power on your 2006 the Toyota logo comes up for a few seconds and goes away. You must activate the EV right then or if the ICE kicks on you have to wait until the ICE is hot. Second, I the battery is SOC is to high like you parked the car with green bars the EV mode won't work until you are back to purple bars. Third, it the outside air, inside air, or battery temp (I still don't know what controls this) the EV mode won't work. Finally, if the battery SOC is tow low, as in less then have the bars on the screen the EV mode won't work. You will get the hang of it.

How much was your button?

3. porschett

porschett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why won't EV mode work if the battery is on green bars? I would think the opposite where that's the optimum time for EV mode.

I'm going to have to play with different scenarios and see. I'll post on here once I have a definitive answer.

Got the switch from Sigma Automotive. It came with all the wiring (pre-crimped). All I had to do was plug the wires into the harness. The kit even has the wire/crimp for the ECU! It was $69 + S/H. A little expensive for a switch, but I wanted the factory look.

4. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porsche403 @ Jul 22 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]290461[/snapback]</div>
    How difficult was it to install?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You get the beep if you're in any other screen other than the Energy Monitor. It'll beep and switch to the Energy Monitor.

You have to activate it when the logo shows (you'll get a beep then)

6. porschett

porschett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 22 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]290510[/snapback]</div>
    It took me about 1/2 hour. You can skip the part about opening the steering column and pulling out spare crimps as the kit already comes with ones ready to plug into the ECU and EV harness.

Pull the left vent, unplug the dimmer switch, tap into the wires, pull out the blank and replace with the EV switch.

Most people ran the wire to the ECU behind the MFD. I just did it under the dash where the "Key" and "Tire reset" was. Then ran it under the middle divider that's on top of the carpet. Then back up through to the ECU. This part took me about 10 min and was a lot less painful than running it behind the MFD. No "fishing" required.

The ECU plug was very easy to unplug. Afterwards, just slip in the included crimp. You will still need about 8' of 24 gauge wire to tap from the EV switch to the ECU wire/crimp. The kit only comes with about 4" of wire.

7. porschett

porschett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK. I verified that everything works according to spec except the single beep when EV is engaged. However, the MDF does in fact switch over to the Energy screen, but no beep.

Can someone who has done the EV mod for a 2006 confirm whether or not they get a beep when EV is engaged?

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porsche403 @ Jul 22 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]290664[/snapback]</div>
    The beep (if you get one) has nothing to do with entering EV mode, but everything to do with the MFD switching to the energy display. If you turn off the annoying beep on display switching like most people, there is no beep. If you have left the beep on so you get a beep everytime you toggle between energy and consumption, then EV mode will cause a beep -if- you are not already displaying the energy screen.

At least that is how it works on my 2006.

- Tom

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porsche403 @ Jul 22 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]290664[/snapback]</div>

I have an 06 and I don't get a beep when it goes into EV. I do get three beeps when it comes out of EV because of low battery or if I go above 34 MPH. I did the free EV modification to the lights flash on the steering wheel. I may go to a button soon just because I think it is cool.

10. porschett

porschett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do not have the beep disabled. Otherwise I would not hear the 3 beeps when EV is disabled.

Even if the MFD switches to Energy from say the radio screen, no beep.
    Thanks for verifying the results.

11. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Porsche403 @ Jul 22 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]290702[/snapback]</div>
    There are lots of beeps not disabled by the "beep off" mode. I think the only thing it turns off is the beep when switching between screens. Mine is off and I still get the three beeps on EV disabled. Do you get a beep when switching between the energy and consumption displays? If not, you have "beep off".

Press the "Info" button on the left side of the MFD. The beep on/off switch is at the top of that screen just to the left of center. Switch it to "On" and you should get a beep when EV switched the display to the energy screen.

- Tom

12. porschett

porschett New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Tom for the detailed instructions. My "Beep Off" is originally unlit so the beep is indeed ON. When "Beef Off" is lit, switching between menus and screen I get no beeps.

So it looks like mine functions as "Cheep!'s" where there's no beep when EV is on regardless of which screen I'm on. When it's off, I do get the 3 beeps.

Guess this is where the "EV" idiot light on the dash really helps.

BTW, I love this car! At 1300 miles, I'm already getting 51 MPG! I'm looking forward to see what I get after it fully breaks in.