1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Ford Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Anonymous, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-265711.htm

Here's a fun little article from the Detroit News regarding the redesigned Ford Explorer. They boast of improved fuel efficiency but it's only one mile per gallor better (17 instead of 16). The real fun, though, is in the comments from the cyber survey. One of the proFord guys actually thinks that it's the media that makes people believe that Japanese cars are better and some of them seem to really believe that Ford makes better cars than the Japanese car companies. This is a bit of a taste of what I deal with all the time in this part of the country. Have fun. :lol:

2. wstander

wstander New Member

Ummm, I do not know. I had a 1993 Ford SHO that had warped brake rotors at about 7000 miles; no arguement from Ford, they replaced them.

My 2004 HCH got warped rotors at 10000 miles; Honda dealer said not his problem..Honda North America agreed that it was 'normal wear consumable'...29000 miles later, they warped again!

Last Honda I buy.

My 1978 Honda Civic hatch lock just fell out one day when it was 6 months old...

The battery in my 14 month old 1986 Porsche 944 failed; 1 year life is called normal; the cooling system in it failed and was replaced under warranty within 17 months of new.

The HVAC system in my 3 month old 1986 Acura Integra failed and it was 6 months before it was repaired.

YMMV, but I don't think that Japanese 'quality' is all that much better than USA built stuff. The dealer and company attitude can make it seem better.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own 2 Fords and 1 Toyota. My Expedition has 131k miles and only over the past 20k miles or so have I had to have any repairs of any significance at all done...some front end work and a new alternator put in. Our Windstar has been essentially problem free other than a little loose trim.

The Prius has had to go in for a new combination meter, fuel fill tube, SKS, several service campaigns.

I don't think there needs to be any arguement as regards generalities of whether Japanese cars are better than American cars as I think you can get lots of annecdotes about bad experiences and good experiences on both sides. Probably some models have been much better than others on both sides.

It's just a silly thing to argue about or claim authority on either way. I do believe that most Japanese cars have a better reliability history, but that isn't the only factor in determining if it's necessarily "better" than another car.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can't speak for Fords because I came from a white collar GM family but each new GM car that I bought from them (and I bought more than a few) had at least three defects in it and the last one (and I DO mean the LAST one) had so many defects that I dumped it as quickly as I could. Both Toyotas I bought since then have had ZERO defects. Actually, if you'll notice, I never said that Japanese cars are better than American. I had a Honda once that wasn't that great. I've heard a zillion people say that they've had nothing but perfect cars from the American car companies. Perhaps they have but GM never sold one of those to me.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What you said was:
    So I guess if you want to split hairs you never actually came out and said "I think Japan makes better cars than the US." But you certainly implied that you feel that way since you have to "deal with" people who think the opposite.

So what are you saying if you've been misrepresented? :roll:

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    one mile per gallon increase? What, are they really serious? Why would you even advertise that fact? It's so pathetic as to be laughable. Do a Ford explorer hybrid with HSD and electric 4WD, price it lower than the Highlander by 10 grand and then I'll stop laughing.

The Escape Hybrid I liked. C'mon Ford, keep up the work. Any word on a sedan from them in hybrid form?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think that you're assuming that the last part of the first sentence that you quoted is somehow part of the second, E. What I have to deal with every day isn't that they think that American cars are better than Japanese cars, it's that they don't listen. I could give you a long essay on this but I won't bore you.

Exactly, finman. One mile per gallon and more horsepower. If they'd left out the 'more horsepower' part of it, the mileage may have been higher and it might actually sell more.

8. v.jones

v.jones New Member

In the FWIW department, Ford has already introduced an Explorer hybrid. It's called the Mercury Mountaineer hybrid. By the time my old Explorer gives up the ghost (can't fit half a dozen 32 gal garbage cans in my Prius, and wouldn't want to even if I could...) I expect to have a range of reasonably priced hybrid SUV's available to choose from.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to use the SUV when I need a truck and the Prius when I need to go somewhere. As always, YMMV.

Vince

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you sure? Maybe you meant to say "Mariner", which is a different beast entirely.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Explorer looks the same. Just a new grille, tear drop in the headlights and foglights from the F-150.

11. v.jones

v.jones New Member

You are absolutely correct... :oops:
    although actually I meant Mountaineer because that is what registered when I saw "mariner" in the anouncement blurbs (it's been a long time since I've had to shop for an SUV, about once every ten years or so, and last time I looked, the only Mercury SUV was the explorer twin...).

I will not reply off-the-cuff. :cry:
    I will not reply off-the-cuff. :cry:
    I will not . . . :(

12. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Probably that is the case, isn't a Mariner just a Ford Escape with a Mercury name badge on it?

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

Everyone has their own anecdotal references with their cars.
    Despite what I hear from people, I pay close attention to what Consumer Reports has to say about vehicles.

Consumer Reports recommends every single Toyota model sold.

Consumer Reports recommends all but two Honda models sold.

Consumer Reports recommends only 6 out of 21 Ford models.

Consumer Reports recommends only 4 out of 26 Chevrolet models.

I prefer to go with the numbers...

15. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Ford Explorer lasted 12 years and 196,000 without any major repairs, except for when I hit that curb in the snow last February.

The brake pads that came with the car lasted 50,000 miles before I needed to replace them. Since then, it tended to eat brakes every 25,000 to 30,000 miles, but I think I would blame Meineke for that.

The only significant repair, other than brakes, that I had was at 185,000 miles when a pulley for the serpentine belt seized up. Fortunately, it seems to have been designed to just unscrew itself from the engine block, instead of stripping the threads in the engine block. $150 dollars and an hour later and I was on my way.

And when I had that repair done, I told the mechanic that I was just waiting for it to finally die so I could replace it. He was suprised I said that, because he told me that the car was in great shape and with only 80,000 miles on it, it had a lot of life left in it. I then informed him that the odometer had rolled over, and it really had 185,000 miles on it, and he seemed quite impressed.

I could have driven it longer, but after 12 years, I just wanted a new car.

And then we move on to my other cars. My wife's 7 year old Chevy Malibu has 116,000 miles on it and is still going strong. It had an engine problem at 32,000 miles (valves? lifters? something like that), but the Chevy dealer covered it under warrenty, even though the warrenty expired at 30,000. (My guess at the time was that it was a known problem with a service bulletin on it and they just didn't tell me that). Haven't had a problem with it since.

The car I owned before my Explorer was an '84 Chevy Celebrity station wagon. It lasted 198,000 before I got rid of it. It would have lasted longer, but I had just gotten my first job out of college and I just wanted a new car. It did have a power steering problem around 150,000 miles, but other than that and normal stuff like brakes, I had no problems with it. It wasn't even burning oil much when I got rid of it. I could go 4000 miles and only be down a third of a quart.

Now the Crystler Lebaron that my wife inherited from her grandmother and brought into our marriage was a total piece of crap. I'll give you that.

16. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I think that American cars (if you can call these multinational companies American anymore) have gotten their quality levels up to about the same levels as the imports. That was not the case in the 1980's. I had a 1981 Old Cutlass that I bought new in 1980 that pinged on premium unleaded and they said it was normal. It went through 5 ignition control computers, 3 transmissions, 2 starter solenoids, and a few other things before I got rid of it three years later.

I have leased three Mercury Mountaineers, one Olds Bravada, and one Jeep Grand Cherokee over the last 10 years or so - while I never had any of them for more than 3 years, I drove them off the dealer lot and the next time they went back was when I turned them back in at lease end. That says something about the improvement in quality. Now I cannot comment on how they would have fared after 10 years use, but I don't generally keep cars that long.

The last car I kept that long was a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE and in the last three years I had it I think that car cost me about $300 a month in repairs.

17. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think we are heading down the anecdotal that Evan is talking about.

I agree with you flyingprius, I like how Consumer Reports does the reliability comparisons. Interestingly, in the 2005 Car Issue, CR admitted that the reliability gap was decreasing between American and Japanese. I don't the issue in front of me or I would quote it verbatim.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every time I hear someone say that the quality of American cars is on par with the Japanese, I just laugh because the 2003 POS that some skanky Chevrolet dealership sold me is proof to me that they're still incapable of producing quality cars. At least not consistently and certainly not in my experience.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 1996 CivicHX's rotors still will warp also although around every 100K miles. Read around, it happens to all Civics because of their small rotors. Why? It's most likely because we brake hard and fast to a stop, and then sit with all that heat at one point for the duration of the light (minutes?).

Being the rotors are small, they can't dump heat that fast, and then getting contact smelted at the light, what do you expect? And it can still happen to any vehicle braking hard and fast too.

Although I thought HCH also had mag brakes so the front rotors shouldn't get used much...

I worry about the Prius also, but at least they're not getting used until < 8mph, and I don't need to press so hard on the brakes anymore since the mag brakes work earlier, harder, and more consistently than friction brakes.

20. wstander

wstander New Member

I never rode or hit the brakes hard, especially in the 3-4 months that the car was new. I learned to use the engine braking and downshift (my HCH was a 5spd manual) and tried to roll to the light, etc. In other words, I am not hard on brakes. I and my independent mechanic came to the conclusion that Honda puts rotors that are too light in order to save on unsprung weight. FWIW, in 2 years of club racing a 944, I never warped a rotor or even had to replace pads. I replaced the HCH rotors with heavier after market rotors that lasted 29000 miles befor they needed to be turned.

Now, I trust that the Prius, with larger wheels has a better built set of rotors. Time will tell....;-)