1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Glass Breakage Sensor GBS Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Jun 5, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I order the Glass Breakage Sensor from the PC shop a few weeks ago and I just now installed it. It took me about 30 minutes. Anyone can do it, its that easy. All I have to do now is take it down to the dealership to have them enable it with the scan tool. If that thing did not cost $3000 I would buy one and do it myself. :angry: I'm not posting installation pictures because the instructions for installing it are very detailed. They are available for download HERE in the PC shop. There is no easier way to install it. The only issue I had was that the kit came with 5 wire ties and you only need to use 2! :rolleyes: Oh well extra parts to use for future mods :D

I just wanted to let people know about it.

Now I just have to get my EV button installed tomorrow. :D :D :D :eek:

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back from the dealer. The GBS is enabled and working great! It cost me more than I thought and a little more than MSRP if I would have bought it with the car. Oh well it was still worth it. Plus I got to have the fun of installing it my self. :D

Total cost...
    GBS $112
    Labor $74.95 :angry: stupid $3000 ScanTool!
    Tax :angry: $5.25
    Total $192.20

Total time at dealership 1hr
    30min waiting for someone to get the car, 15min until I her my alarm go off :D and another 15 waiting again.

Now if someone tryies to see if I have an alarm my Prius will scream HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! :D

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 13 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]270678[/snapback]</div>
    My dealership only listed "Remote Security System -QS90 $329".
    Is that the same thing? I don't remember a security option <$200.
    Or, is that just how much EXTRA the VIP GBS was, if you already purchased the RS3200? Did you purchase the RS3200 when you bought the car, or just have them turn it on?

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a package #7 which includes the OEM security system. The GBS is an addon to the OEM Prius alarm. The price I listed was for the GBS and labor only. On your package #3 you will have to get the OEM alarm enabled before you can add the GBS. Your dealer can install both at the same time. I would not let your dealer BS you into a high end alarm because ALL Prius come with the OEM alarm. The dealer just has to enable it. I would only get a higher end after market alarm if your dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg to enable the OEM.

5. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the force,

I just received my GBS and i'm just about ready to install. The only thing is, I see 2 sets of directions online.

I browsed thru both and the only thing I notice was on one set of directions it asked you to remove a yellow wire from the 16P connector.

Which directions did you use? I also have a 2006.

Thanks

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you already have the alarm on your car so all you need to do is follow the "TVIP V2 (GBS ADD ON)" instructions.

7. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    theforce,

thanks for the info. the install was straight forward. only thing left is to make an appointment with the dealer and have the alarm activated.

-saegai06

8. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone in the San Jose, San Francisco California area activated there GBS?

I went to 2 of my local dealers and both of them said, "GBS What? :huh:

Then they said just make an appointment and we'll try and activate it. I asked them how long do you think this will take? He said, "well...we've never done this before so, give us half a day". and the estimate bill was 129!!

I'm looking to pay what "theforce" paid, $74.95

anyone?

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I would not let them charge you any more than $75 and it should only take no more than 30 min. I actually printed out a copy of the instructions and brought it to my dealer. I told them that all that needs to be done is the scantool section and test it to make sure its working. Good luck finding a dealer that know what their doing and for a good price.

10. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Thank you for the information.

I have a 2006 with Package #8 - could you tell me how I can tell if the OEM alram is enabled or not?

11. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jun 23 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]275720[/snapback]</div>
    The alarm comes standard with package #8 but the GBS is still an option you have to buy separate.

12. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 23 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]275721[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you - after I install the sensor, do I have to get the alarm turned on?

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your alarm should already be turned on but after you install the GBS you have to get the GBS turned on with the scan tool.

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 23 2006, 07:40 PM) [snapback]276082[/snapback]</div>

Two questons.
    1. What does the GBS do? Does it only liten for broken glass? Why get one?
    2. What does the Scan tool do? What else can it do?

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. If someone taps the window to see if there is an alarm or someone breaks a window the GBS will set off the alarm.

2. The scantool can do just about anything you ask it to. From my understanding it can do anything from changing settings, reading error codes, to programming the ECU with new updates.

16. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I may need to get one.

17. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 23 2006, 03:28 AM) [snapback]275716[/snapback]</div>

So I ended up taking my car to San Bruno, CA Toyota dealership. Which was just down the street from my work. I talked to a service advisor named Travis and he knew exactly what I was talking about when I said I wanted to get my GBS activated. He called one of his techs just to confirm he can do it and the tech said, "no problem, just need about 20 minutes". The service advisor wrote up my work order and the tech started 10 minutes later. and get this...the tech finished in about 15 minutes and they DIDN"T charge me! Travis said, he couldn't justify charging me for those 15 minutes and said have a good weekend. I was already expecting to pay 74.95+ but, i'm not wasn't going to argue with him.

Guess it was my lucky day. :D

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW you really did get lucky. :p

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 5 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]266368[/snapback]</div>

I have to ask... how do you know it works?.... did you break your glass to make sure? :lol:

I have the GBS sensor...the glass tap alone will not set it off.

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 30 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]279028[/snapback]</div>
    Mine is sensitive enough to detect a hard tap on the window.