1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 GPS bypass answers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In another thread I documented my conversations I had with Toyota Midwest Regional about the problem of not being able to access certain features of the GPS while driving.

After about a month here are the results:

The first two weeks were spent by the Toyota representative just trying to find someone who knew about the issue. I was first sent to the normal customer service line and they gave me the predictable answer:

"There is no way to by-pass these locked out functions"

Well, back to my contact and he dug further. He made a startling discovery. It appears when they made the tech manual for the 2006 Prius they forgot to document the "new" way to get to the by-pass procedure.

That is why it is no where to be found even from Tech Info online.

Now, having said this, my contact said he could not officially tell me the procedure even if he knew it. But he was disturbed that even Toyota techs would not be able to by-pass these locked out functions for service related diagnostic reasons. So, he escalated the issue to the department which has responsibility over that area of the tech manual. They admitted they had made an oversight and would make sure the information would be updated "soon". I was told this would likely be within 30 days.

So.......knowing this we should be able to find this information online from Tech Info within that time frame and eventually someone will find it and as with the 2004/2005 Prius, the work around will become available.

So, while I don't have the exact procedure, you now know that it wasn't even documented for Toyota Service nationwide. It is being updated and soon we should be able to find it either from someone who has daily access or if you're anxious to know you could find it out yourself by paying a daily access fee.

Hope you find this info useful.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm surprised they're releasing it in the tech manuals. i'm surprised they're releasing it at all. but i'll believe it when i see it... :unsure:

that said, new service manuals often have omissions or mistakes that aren't caught until someone needs the info or learns it's wrong...

good work, three60. :)

3. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

I won't be "surprised" if the Nav override comes out, since I don't have factory Nav. But I really want to be surprised when the phone book/dialer override is found for the '06. Surprise!... Please! :)

4. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My guess is the work around will unlock both the GPS and phonebook dialer etc.

Doesn't it in the 2004/2005?

5. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope. The NAV and the Bluetooth phone seem to be separate entities in the 2005. The raindance does disable the NAV lockouts, but does nothing to the phone.

6. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dang, more research.

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hopefully it will unlock the MP3 folder list and the other radio features.

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

This is interesting news, but I don't want an "override" for the nav. That means a complicted sequence you have to push in EVERY TIME you want to "override" the system. Ridiculous, IMHO. I'm more interested in your original intent -- get the stupid lockout REMOVED from the nav system. There is NO legal, moral, or financial reason for this unit to be locked and unusable by the passenger when the car is in motion.

9. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any suggestions on how to do what you suggest, jbarnhart? Of course I agree with you. But Toyota is a big company. All big companies move very slowly.

10. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Three60guy - your efforts have been OUTSTANDING! Thank you so much for getting this far and giving us a glimmer of hope. I agree that we should have the ability to rid our system of the Nav lockout completely but if there is a way to do a dance and then be able to use all aspects of our nav system/driving or not, I will be very greatful. I probably won't need to input destinations, etc each time I'm driving (I use map often but usually don't need nav assistance to get to my destination). So on the occassion that this is useful, I or my passenger can override the system and get it done! Better than nothing, wouldn't you say? For now it's nothing....but do I see a light at the end of the tunnel? You given me hope! Thanks again.

11. Proteus

Proteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I realize that it has been less than 30 days, but has there been anything more on this?

Turning blue,

gk

12. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proteus @ Feb 19 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]212851[/snapback]</div>
    Well, now it's been much more than 30 days.

Anyone with TIS notice the info anywhere?

13. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We know it exists, someone on here got it set by the dealer on accident only to have them turn it off after a visit to them.

14. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Surely one of our resident PriusChat service technicians has this info by now? HELP!??!

The lack of an override is making me very sad... I am spoiled with having the override for my 2005, and will find myself LOCKED out soon when my 2006 gets here!!!

:-(

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited