1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Grief....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OUscarb, Dec 24, 2005.

1. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

While potential Prius buyers wait for Jan 1st, so do the dealers......

I have a friend who decided to purchase a 2006 Prius. Put his name on the list at a couple of Dealers around here. Told them what package he wanted, no port options, etc. They said it will be in the first week in Jan. He got a call the car he wanting was matched, but it was a higher package, and should be here on time. It also already had the Package A & protection package already intalled. (Extra 1,400.00) He said he would wait, and was told if he passed the car up, so many were waiting to get an '06 because of the Tax Credit, it would be sold, and to get the preference he wanted, it could be Feb or later. :(

Just made me wonder if we are headed for another round of the dealer's adding giant profits above MSRP and even "take it or leave it" Adjusted Mark ups". If you already have a contract with a set price, great, but I 'm thinking alot of buyers who are just on call lists, could be in for a lot of grief when Jan 1 hits. The dealers are in the drivers seat as of Jan 1st.

Your thoughts?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the dealer is always in the drivers seat. <_<

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I disagree, or I should say, only to an extent.

As I just posted elsewhere, there are six '06s stacked up at my dealer today---three spoken for, with Sold signs on the dash and pickup dates (1/2, 1/3...), but 3 not. The unspoken-for ones are pkg 6 and 8; sold-3, 6, and 7.

I get the overall feeling wait lists aren't as long as they were for the '02 and '04 rushes, mostly because Toyota guessed well in ramping up production. I don't think we'll see widespread cash markups, but I DO think we'll see more "mandatory" "low-end options"---saw it at my dealer today---rear applique, cargo net, first aid kit, etc.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did he put money down?.. if so and he signed paperwork to be on a list for a certain package and they said it would be by the first week in Jan and thats on the paperwork, then if they don't deliver the package by first week in Jan, then they have defaulted on the agreement.... they should refund any funds.....
    Non-refundable deposits indicates if you change your mind or default on your end you lose it, but when they default, that releases you and you can fight it, or at least put pressure on them to deal with you.

Just make sure any agreements you want performed are on paper and signed before putting a deposit, otherwise your at the mercy of thier word.. which is nothing to bank on.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Generally speaking, deposits are always refundable. And generally speaking, dealers do not give contractual promises about delivery dates or available packages, though many give a verbal contract about price (such as MSRP or X dollars over MSRP). Being on a waiting list is not in itself a contract. When I got on the list for mine, nothing was signed except a receipt for the $500, which only said that I had given them $500 towards a car. No contractual promises, written or verbal, about that car. Only estimated delivery time, the statement that the car would be MSRP, and that the deposit was refundable.

The end result is that the dealer is under no obligation to provide a car, and the buyer is under no obligation to buy. The dealer is in the driver's seat while demand is high and supply is low. But based on another thread, most dealers are treating customers well.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just for grins I called my local dealers to see if they had any on the lot... they only have the 05's and require a 1000.00 Non-refundable deposit for the 06's.... I didn't go as far to see what that means. But thats nuts.. I would never agree to non-refundable unless its due to something I do wrong or to break the agreement.

I think the general concensus is that Daniel is right. The dealers want all the cards if they can get away with it.

I see no rational reason that they need a deposit????? If they were "ordering" a special car just for you and was afraid they couldn't sell to someone else that would make sense?

But I believe they are merely picking out of thier allotment and have no control over what they get in thier allotment... is this true?
    I"m not sure how that works?

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think it may depend on the region, but my understanding is that the dealers receive an allotment of cars over which they have no control. BUT then dealers can trade allotments between themselves. So if the Fargo dealer is getting in a blue #5 and has a customer who wants a black #6, and the Grand Forks dealer has a black #6 and a customer who wants a blue #5, they can trade allotments. I think that's the case. Some dealers will make the effort to find what you want and exchange with another dealer if necessary; others will not.

If there really is a non-refundable deposit, I'd advise demanding a VIN number and a signed contract stating that that specific car will be yours at a price stated in the contract, including all taxes, fees, and charges.

A deposit is earnest money, demonstrating that you are serious. When I bought my house, I had to put down earnest money at the time I made a formal offer. Had my offer been rejected, or a counter-offer made and had I rejected that, I'd have gotten my earnest money back. But if my offer was accepted and I had backed out, I'd have lost the earnest money. Large complicated transactions often involve earnest money. A supporter of the capitalist system should not object to that.

And the bottom line is that a new car is a luxury item, and nobody who objects to a deposit has to buy one. They make a car, they have the right to market that car how they see fit. If they alienate customers, they'll have more trouble selling the car. But it's their right as the manufacturer. In the case of the Prius, the demand is so high, they can pretty much do what they like. And as a believer in the capitalist system, I'd think you'd defend their right to do that. Again, nobody has to lay down a deposit, because nobody has to buy a new car.

Personally, I do not support the capitalist system. But I limit my complaints to the exploitation of workers and the unfair distribution of necessities. I don't care how unfairly they market luxuries.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks Daniel, I was not aware of that... so if you could get privy to an available car in your area..... you could tell your dealer that has your deposit and they should be able to get or trade for it for you!.. I just don't know how much hassle that would be and if they would have much motivation for doing so... esp. if you refund was not refudable.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Chances are, any car already "in your area" has already been sold, and if it has not, it will be before you can get your dealer to contact the other dealer. If there's an unsold car in your area and it's what you want, run, don't walk, to that other dealer and snap it up.

What I was talking about is dealers trading allotments. They have access to what cars are in the pipeline, maybe even before they are built. A dealer may find your prefered car is scheduled to be built and is allocated to another dealer. Your dealer can (I believe) get that information, then contact that other dealer and offer to trade allotments.

Again, some dealers will, and others won't, go to the bother of looking up allotments and searching for the car you want. And some dealers will, but others won't, respond positively to a trade offer from another dealer.

A more productive strategy on the part of a buyer is probably to get on multiple lists ranging as far away as you're willing to travel to pick up the car. Unless you have some way of knowing that your dealer will go the extra mile to find you what you want.

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If my dealer does try that, I simply won't buy a Prius. I have a list, and while the Prius is at the top of it, I won't allow emotion to get the upper hand in the negotiations.

I already feel guilty about paying MSRP for a car ... I never have before ... but the tax credit makes me feel better. But if the dealer jacks me around, I'll go for one of my second or third choices (or just wait a while!)

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I'm sure you are your own thinker, but may I suggest that you don't let some screwball dealer or inexperienced salesman steal the car you really want!... Just go through another or seek out a broker.... unless of course your not that sold on a pruis.