1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 MFD and NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by eflier, Apr 1, 2006.

1. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

I have just had an email (and pictures) from yet another owner of a 2006 Prius asking why I can't do a CAN-view for him and I usually respond by saying it's because of the digital video input on the 2006 MFD. Or at least that's what the 2006 tech manuals lead me to believe.

What is very puzzling to me is that I have pictures of the 2004-2005 NAV rear with all its connectors.
    I also have the 2006 tech manual pdf pictures of the 2006 NAV rear panel with all its connectors.

But his package 8 Prius NAV, build date 11/05 isn't like either of these. Not only that but he swears his MFD is NOT the new one. Which is really confusing, because if Toyota did build some 2006's that used the 2005 MFD then CAN-view would still work. I don't mean the base package which we know uses the 2005 MFD, I mean the higher packages.

So what's the truth about 2006 MFDs and NAV? Can anyone who believes they have the latest NAV and MFD please take a photo of the back of their NAV unit under the seat trying to show all the connectors as clearly as possible, and post it for us all to see? This mystery needs clearing up. Thanks.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Apr 1 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]233639[/snapback]</div>
    Here ya go. My car is a Feb2006 manufacture date. It's tough to get a good photo in those cramped quarters under the seat. You should be able to recognize the connectors anyway. If you want wire colors, ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. eflier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Apr 2 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]233859[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Rick, thats exactly what the guy with the 11/05 build date has and its completely different from what is shown in the 2006 tech manuals. So I guess the answer is don't trust anything written in the Toyota manuals.
    Can you also answer the other question raised which is he said with this NAV unit he believes he still has the old MFD? What do you believe you have? And how can you tell?
    thanks!

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Apr 2 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]233883[/snapback]</div>
    My NAV-equipped MFD images match the "Type 1" images in the main manual. There are also examples of Type 2 and Type 3.

The following observations are going to read like one of those logic puzzles. (Remember them? John has a dog. The owner of the red house has no dog. Etc...)

A. Type 3 images appear to be the older style, with "recessed areas" for certain written legends in the display. Consider the Consumption Graph. For Type 1 and 2, it has no 3-dimensional appearance. Type 3 displays have a recessed-block appearance for the Current and Average areas of the display.

B. Type 3 appears to have a gray background, though I believe this had four settable colors. Types 1 and 2 are always black.

C. Hard buttons are different:

Type 1 has four buttons to the left of the screen (display, info, climate, audio) and three at right (menu, dest, map/voice). This appears to be the case for a NAV model.

Type 2 has two buttons to the left (climate,audio) and two to the right (display, info). This obviously is a non-NAV system, because it lacks the proper complement of buttons.

D. Types 1 and 2 appear to be the higher-resolution display.

To summarize, there seems to be an interesting situation here:

- Type 1 and Type 2 displays appear to be identical; the difference is simply that Type 1 has NAV;

- Type 3 appears to be a Type 2 (non-NAV) with the old display screen.

I think I read somewhere that early 2006 non-nav cars had the Type 3 display. Perhaps the new display was late in arriving.

Thus, according to the main manual, my conclusion is that all 2006 NAV models must be the Type 1 hi-res display.

My separate NAV manual (p/n 01999-047529) shows only a single display type, which matches the Type 1. It has no mention of the other types. Assuming your other owner has NAV and an old display, he must have a different NAV manual than I do: ask him for the part number printed on the back.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My CF card reader seems to have wandered off, so I can't post the pictures I just took. However, they look just like Rick's. 2006 Package #7 with the new high-res display, built 11/05.

I'll post the closeups of the connectors as soon as I find my adapter...

-Ken

6. eflier

Thanks for the inputs. The point of the original question was to find if there are any 2006s that use the 2005 MFD (other than the base model) and which would therefore work happily with CAN-view.

We've now got confirmatory pictures of the new 2006 NAV, which has digital video and so can only drive the new 2006 MFD.
    I've still got the pictures from the other 2006 with NAV owner who says he definitely has the old-style MFD.
    But his NAV pictures are identical to the one shown above. Therefore he must have the same MFD, as the old MFD cannot work with the new NAV.
    Both look nothing like the 2006 tech manual description
    Both look nothing like the 2005 NAV

So how can two owners with the new NAV who logically must have the same MFD believe they have different ones? Without pulling the MFD out and looking at the connectors on the back, is it the graphic displays that make the difference? In other words, could the code and graphics have changed at some point early in the 2006 build such that the 'new' graphics give it that high-res look and the 'old' graphics look low-res? Is it just better source material? Or is this heresy?

Does anyone actually know what the new MFD resolution is? I can't find it documented anywhere.

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eflier @ Apr 2 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]234047[/snapback]</div>
    That could be it. Suppose they installed the new display hardware, but they still used the old software? Then, when the new software was ready, they began using that. We would then have identical connectors, but his displayed graphics would be different.

The next question to ask: Do his non-nav screens look new or old? Remember, if there is an "inset" 3d appearance to the Consumption screen, then it's the old graphics. Maybe not old hardware.

It isn't documented in the manuals either.

8. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What version of the nav DVD does he have? Mine is 5.1. An older version could explain why the nav screens look different, and perhaps a DVD upgrade would update his nav to the current appearance.

But the non-nav screens, e.g. Consumption, are not produced by software on the nav DVD: that software must be inside the MFD. I wonder whether Toyota has a flash-ROM upgrade for that, or perhaps a socketed ROM part, or maybe nothing.

If he truly has a digital-video MFD with older software driving it, perhaps it's worth having him ask his dealer about an update.