1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Nav/BT Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Alnilam, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess I'm impatient....it's been a month and a half now. Short of cutting the famous purple wires, I'm wondering if anybody has heard rumors of impending salvation for us new kids. It doesn't seem to generate much heat here.

I've been of the mind that with interested customers sitting on their duffs with hard cash, an enterprising lad would come up with the fix. I don't know how to do it, but I suspect there are a number of computer-types on board with enough expertise to handle the problems. Or am I just naive and unaware that the problems are huge?

Is a solution likely or imminent? I'd be happy just to wallow in rumors for a while. At least I'd know it was on peoples' minds. I've heard that Toyota has at least implied that there is a work-around, without ever spilling this top-secret info. We need some espionage types with links to the head office.

The guy who cracks the code will live forever in our hearts. Danny might even award him with Moderator status since he just got a 2006.

Instead of a Nobel Peace Prize, already taken, he would get:

An Ignoble Prius Prize.........

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Put my name on the waiting list too!

3. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the Nav/BT in the 2006 that needs to be fixed?

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 26 2006, 05:48 AM) [snapback]292484[/snapback]</div>
    On the 04-05 Prius the passenger could push on the MFD in a secret pattern and then they would have full control of the nav system while your driving down the freeway at 60 MPH. Also, they could Dial a number or have full use of the address book while the car is in motion.

On the 06 Prius we have never found that magic combination of screen pushes to get to the motion override button. You can find lots on it if you search these pages.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto here. I just sat in my car for 45 minutes last night programming phone numbers because I or my wife can't do it from the passenger seat on a long drive...

...also because my frickin' Verizon RAZR won't let me transfer the phonebook.

As for Navi, I haven't had a big problem with using voice command to access almost all functions, and in most cases it seems faster than typing out an address. But I still want the override!!

And now that I think of it, has anyone ever connected a bluetooth-equipped computer to the car, and could that be an alternate way to upload phonebooks?

6. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 26 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]292492[/snapback]</div>
    this thread, maybe?
    http://priuschat.com/Bluetooth-phone-book-...ptop-t6017.html

7. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I'm guessing nothing is going on.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 27 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]293679[/snapback]</div>
    You must realize that it wasn't until July 2005 that the software override was found, a full year and a half after the 2004 came out. Not only that, but it was somebody on the Lexus group that found it, not the Prius group. Of course, the purple wire fix had been known for some time. So just be patient, lots of 2006 owners are working on this. :)

I have no proof, but it just might be possible that Coastal's Lockpick for NAV and BT may work on a 2006, provided it attaches to the MFD and not the NAV. I have a theory that that kit electronically cuts the purple wires. I asked what owners of that kit (it would be 2005 owners that would have it now) what it looks like when it activates, but nobody responded. You see, on the original demo, the NAV buttons were ghosted for a second or so, and then became active. I only have the NAV kit (no BT override), which duplicates the software override.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jul 26 2006, 04:17 AM) [snapback]292491[/snapback]</div>
    The override never did the BT, only the NAV. If you got Coastal's NAV Enhancement kit with BT override, it gave you a 30-second window to dial. Otherwise you cut one of the purple wires (and installed a switch).

9. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have now noticed that the NAV & BT disable occurs at 6 MPH. At 0 to 5 MPH, the wheels turn, etc and you can still have full access to all NAV and BT functions.

So, without hooking up a scope to either of the two "purple" wires that carry the "speed signal" which have been cut to mod this, I'm assuming there must be a "digital pulse train" that increases in frequency directly proportional to MPH and when you hit 6+ MPH, the frequency of the pulse increases and is detected by the NAV and BT software to "disable" their functions. To verify, just drive up to 5MPH and see everything is functional. Then slowly increase speed to 6 and see the functions become disabled. Drop back to 5 or less and functionality is restored.

THE POTENTIAL FIX: We need help from the real EE's on this one. If I am correct in assuming there is a "digital pulse train" on those wires that increases with MPH then if we could cut the wires and insert a small circuit which would provide a "fixed" say, 3 MPH frequency pulse train no matter what the input frequency to the circuit is, we would satisfy the signal input to the NAV & BT circuit without going over the disable point and therefore have full NAV and BT functionality.

What do you in the know think about this possible fix?

Also, if the two wires are cut for good and you loose the "wheel" graphic and avergae speed "histogram", does it really matter as far as MFD functionality with respect to calculated MPH or anything else? I'm just curious as to why some have put a switch or swithches in to reconnect these two wires?!?