1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Navigation and the AM Radio Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drmanny3, Apr 1, 2007.

1. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I recall reading on this forum somewhere that a number of people have had problems with their voice activation commands. In particular saying "AM Radio". The navigation system will repeat the statement but will not chage the radio to am. I took my 2006 (newer graphics) in to Toyota to see about getting this fixed. The first thing they did was change out the radio cd combination. They also failed to give us back our six cds. They claim that Toytoa will send the cds back to the dealer. However two months have gone by. Well back to the story. They fix did not fix the problem. They then ordered a radio ecu. We waited for about three weeks and after repeated calls found out that someone at Toyota decided that it was a know issue and that a new DVD disc would fix the problem. So they were on back order so another couple of weeks. They finally got it in and we showed up. The DVD disc would not work as the system could not read it. So they decided that the original ECU was the correct problem.

Questions:

1. Does this sound correct?
    2. I purchased one of the lock picks to allow us to use the navigation while driving. If they get the new disc to work will that unit still allow us to navigate while driving?

By the way I tried unplugging the wires from the navigation unit and then placed the new DVD unit in. It still could not read it. It reads the one that came with the car without a problem.

The DVD that originally came with the car is labled North America U40 D DVD ROM ver 05.1 2004 Navteq
    The new DVD is labled North America U01 DVD ROM ver 06.1 2005 Navteq

Help!!

Manny

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drmanny3 @ Apr 1 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]416164[/snapback]</div>
    Look at the bright side. You received a $250 upgrade for free.

The voice recognition in the Prius is a hit or miss proposition.

3. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I appreciate the reply, however that does not address the questions. Does anyone know if the two discs that I highlighted are compatible? Also in getting the am issue resolved did that negate the benefit of using the base lock pick
    Thanks,
    Manny

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drmanny3 @ Apr 2 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]416520[/snapback]</div>
    Depending on the lockpick you got, there is a chance it may not be compatible with the new DVD. If you do a search on DVD you can find several posts with additional information. The 2 DVDs you mention appear to be "compatible" in that they both support the high resolution display (late 05 and on). However they contain different data and probably different loading software.

5. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

Isnit odd that I could not get the newer disc to load. I tried diconnecting the power to force a boot. But nothing would get the system to read the disc. So even though I have the more current system a new disc is not guaranteed to work.