1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Navigation DVD Now Available

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Charles Suitt, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Don't need an updated DVD, but...

I can recommend Metro Toyota Parts. I've purchased fron them several times [Mats, Body Side Moulding, Cargo Net] and have had prompt shipment, fair prices and prompt shipping.

2. amtrak115

amtrak115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What would the version number be for this updated DVD?

3. rob_md

rob_md New Member

Any thoughts on if the new DVD might disable the CoastalTech Lockpick? Does the new disc add any new features or just roads?

4. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to let everyone know that the most current navigation update disk is now available from Toyota. I am willing to give PC members a break on the price. Unfortunately the mark-up is small so the discount is not as great as we would all like, but I am doing what I can to help. I will make them available for $225.00 plus shipping instead of $250.00 plus shipping. Disks will take approximately 3-4 weeks from the order date to get to your door. Toyota's policy, "Returns are not permitted for any reason, please forecast your inventory carefully." Since Toyota does not permit returns from me for any reason I will have to have the same policy with all of you. I will also not be stocking any disks, they will be ordered on an as needed basis. Please keep this in mind. Please contact me if you are interested in placing an order. Thanks.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Jan 17 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]376990[/snapback]</div>
    Are the voice commands available on the '06, but not on the '05 included to work on an '05? I'm assuming you will have available the version of the upgrade that works on an '05.

I'll probably order this upgrade, as soon as I get a little money set aside. My credit card is almost maxed out now.

Dave M.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is totally my opinion, but I think this is a worthless upgrade. Surely not enough has changed in your area or in areas that you regularly drive to warrant an upgrade to the 06 data. There are no changes that I'm aware of other than just updated map information.

If you haven't traveled there in over a year, what's the chance you're going to go there before, say, the 08 disc comes out?

Save your money, only upgrade every 3 years at the most.

7. newkbomb

newkbomb New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jan 18 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]377136[/snapback]</div>
    Danny... I have a 2004, in your opinion would you upgrade? If I do, it looks as though I not only have to buy the 06 DVD, but some upgrade kit as well???

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newkbomb @ Jan 25 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]380661[/snapback]</div>
    No, no, no.

There are two separate versions of 6.1. One for the 04 and 05 model years (low resolution) and the other for the 06 (high res.). You must get the version that is compatible with your car, or the new disk will not work in your navigation system.

9. newkbomb

newkbomb New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 25 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]380769[/snapback]</div>
    ok... thanks for the heads up.

10. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jan 18 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]377136[/snapback]</div>
    Don't upgrade the DVD at all. Buy a new Prius every 3 years!

P.s. My street and route to work are not on the 06 Disc. (They must be doing a lot of building in Glasgow!)

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In AZ, the area is rapidly changing, and there are areas that my NAV DVD doesn't display properly, if at all. Same goes for some of the newer improvements in Las Vegas that I recently encountered that my Map didn't know about.

However, I'd want to confirm that the streets I've encountered are on the map DVD before I spent the $225. Anyone know of a way to check/verify data on the DVD before one makes the upgrade?

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jan 26 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]381207[/snapback]</div>
    Go to your local Toyota dealer and "test drive" a car with the current DVD version (6.1).

13. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone live in the Chicago area and have the '06 NAV DVD? There is a ton of new construction (80 / 94 and the Dan Ryan) and I am wondering if the new version has the new entrance / exit ramps. I have the '05 version and don't want to update if there is no new Chicago data.

Thanks!

14. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 26 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]381219[/snapback]</div>
    Surely there is a better way to find out what is new on one of these DVDs.

I work in Loudoun County, Virginia, one of the fastest-growing counties in the USA. One of the neighborhoods in which I teach school is not even on the DVD in my car.

It seems like I should be able to search a database somewhere (Toyota?) and find out by postal code or something whether an area has been updated. Is this not possible?

It's because of this weakness that I probably would not get the nav system in my next Prius. I'd probably opt instead for a Tom Tom or Garmin or something. That is, a brand whose upgrades are less expensive and who have websites devoted to their nav systems.

15. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There IS a correlation between roads depicted on maps.google.com and the map data used for these disks, but it seems like major roadwork eventually gets around to being on Google while the road I live on remains exactly as it was three years ago: dead-ending hundreds of yards from my house.

So if you find your local area is now depicted accurately on Google, and it has been that way for a year or so, then MAYBE the update will be worth it.

Me, I guess when a satellite-based map system comes along for my next car, at least I can complain to them that my road has long-since changed and it's time to FINALLY reflect that...

16. Itchy

Itchy New Member

I just recieved my DVD from Metro and it works great!

17. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matlock @ Apr 19 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]426521[/snapback]</div>
    What Version is the DVD? Also, where are you located?

18. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why can't Toyota provide a system with a hard drive where you can download updates from the internet?
    I guess they could do that with DVD-Rs though. You buy a download and burn it to DVD for say $50 per yera and they sell 5 times as many upgrades to make the same revenue.

19. Itchy

Itchy New Member

I'm in Chicago. The bottom of the disc says version 6.1

20. petehami

petehami New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matlock @ May 4 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]435390[/snapback]</div>
    Matlock, could you post the complete part number also.