1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Owners Manuel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by panquin, Apr 12, 2012.

1. panquin

panquin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody know where I can find a PDF or website containing the Owners Manuel to a 2006 prius? I know I could go out and buy one but they cost a good bit for a college kid. Also I'm not sure what package I have either, but I do have leather seats, bluetooth, JBL audio but no GPS. Thanks!

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this forum is way better than any owners manual, the only thing I use it for is to remind me of how much oil to have in hand before performing a drain and fill. Anytime I'm doing something major I go to the library and check out a Haynes manual, used tools can be rented by "buying" them from auto stores and then "returning" them when you are done with your project. In the Multi Function Display you will be able to keep track of when you perform your maintenance so you know when it has to be done next.

here is what I am comfortable doing myself:
    washing & waxing exterior, cleaning seats & carpets, much cheaper than detail shop.
    oil change with synthetic oil & high-capacity filter every 13,333 miles
    change 12V battery (check my other post about getting an Optima for around $126
    brakes: change rotors (rust due to underuse), lube caliper slides and clean rear drum brake dust.
    suspension: change struts, bellows & mounts as needed (bad Michigan roads!!!)
    transaxle change with toyota ATF WS (about 3.75qt from dealership), first one at 30K miles, each subsequent one at 60K, the hex nut to remove the drain has to be bought and its annoying to fill the transaxle sideways, but it still cheaper than going to the dealership and is a necessary preventative maintenance to protect a multi-thousand dollar part, and since you fill it sideways on the check/fill port its basically impossible to overfill or underfill it so why not do it yourself?

I recommend having your brake fluid, inverter coolant and engine coolant changed at the dealership due to the fact that they require fancy computers and vacuum environments.

a front wheel alignment should be done anytime you hit a curb (not much snow in LA) so it may not apply to you but after I replace my suspension I pay a local shop for a 4-wheel computerized alignment. That's the only thing I would trust a non dealership for.

To quote Doc in Back II the Future: "Owners Manual, with this forum we don't need an Owners Manual"

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2 people like this.