1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 P0A80 7 years 10.5 months-how likely free replace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by phoebeisis, Mar 8, 2014.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Yesterday I get that grim call from my 28 yo son.
    RED TRIANGLE etc
    I only drive the 2006 maybe once a month-wife son hate the old "evacuate the 6 pets hulk used 1998 suburban 225,000 miles" I'm stuck with
    He gets it home-I read code-SG P0A80
    It now has check engine RED TRIANGLE and red outlined car warning icons
    earlier it also had VSC and BRAKE icon-but they disappeared
    P0A80 means replace hybrid battery
    I'm near new orleans-louisiana
    Car bought 4-22-2006 84,500 miles- so BARELY in warranty
    How likely is a Toyota dealer- to just replace the battery free-and not delay delay to get past 8 years-since them I would have to pay them-instead of whatever pittance Toyota pays them for warranty work (assume they are thieves-since they ALL are in Louisiana-)
    Thanks
    Charlie

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty likely. Visit your local Toyota dealer today, and ask that a service tech retrieve the DTC while you leave the car READY and wait. Point out the hybrid vehicle warning icon in the MFD to the service writer.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just take it in. Toyota will honor the warranty so no worries.

JeffD

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

patrick
    Thanks for the advice.
    Shoot I should have waited for some response-but I woke my son up and we two-cared to the dealer.
    I pointedly told the service writer that the CODE was P0A80-(bad traction battery)and he politely said "yeah that is just a generic code-doesn't mean much -could be something else"
    And I politely said louisiana is hot-hard on batteries-and the 85,000 miles-all city-and I suspected Toyota codes aren't that generic-low voltage usually means bad battery-or "bad whatever is charging battery"-
    It reaches 8 years on 4-22-2014 so I won't be happy if they just clear codes-and send us on our way.

Yeah probably should have waited-dealers being dealers-and there not being happy with whatever pittance Toyota pays for warranty-
    I did have another recall letter-intermediate steering shaft-they were going to check that also-but once again-warranty work-not much $$ in that.

Big Aside- our brake pads- 85,000 miles-via eyeball-maybe just 2mm left-literally 2mm-any chance it can detect something like that-braking "not as good with some little pad material"l-no gouging of rotors-so not down to rivets
    the BRAKE icon and VSC warnings went away-haven't returned-so kinda doubt it has anything to do with them
    but the VSC module-must be EXTREMELY pricy-$2000 maybe-they will see those "warnings" not sure what they will make of them.Certainly nothing that will help me since that stuff waaaaay out of warranty.

Thanks again- the prius is such a good car(just the inverter and this problem in 8 years)-but the ancient 98 suburban-225,000 miles-$2950 in 2007-is MUCH easier to DIY repair-and it is soooo owner-proof- and pothole proof-runs forever despite leaking small amounts of oil and coolant -and the parts-even GM parts-are soooo cheap-
    and no scary icons of death"bring to dealer or I self destruct at great expense" and sooo little room in that engine bay
    but 15mpg vs 45 mpg- the a suburban would have used maybe 4000 more gallons-$14,000 more fuel in the 85,000 miles- so easy choice -EXCEPT NOW
    but staring in that tightly packed engine bay-gives me pause

PS The 84,500 miles-ALL CITY SHORT TRIP MILES in a hot-new orleans-city-so 8 hard years for the BP-there was just one 1400 mile road trip-the rest-pure city-10-15 miles or less-some much less
    and the PRIUS is BLACK- hot as heck in the summer!! Being BLACK might have been just enough to make it fail earlier-so good color choice

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

JeffD
    Thanks for response-We brought it in-they will call in a couple of hours with the good/bad news
    I'm never an optimist when dealing with Louisiana dealers-they have never given me cause to be optimistic
    Fingers crossed
    On the BRIGHT SIDE- 5 weeks before 8 year warranty expired-hey I have probably used up my next 5 years worth of GOOD luck! $3000 because it fails a tiny bit earlier-yeah that is LUCK!
    Thanks
    Charlie

PS I should add those 84,500 miles-ALL PURE CITY SHORT TRIP MILES- hard miles in a hot-New orleans-city

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you left your Prius at the dealership? DTC P0A80 is very clear in its meaning, it certainly is not generic.

Regarding the front brake pads, I suggest that you replace them soon since 1 mm is the wear limit. The skid control ECU generally will not produce warning lights just because the pads are getting low.

The Prius actually is not that hard to maintain if you have access to the factory repair manual. Now that mini VCI is available, you can do just about anything that the dealer mechanics with Techstream can do.

If you should need an expensive electronic part, you might consider a used part from a salvage yard.

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Patrick

Yes I left it 2 or so hours ago-no call yet.
    When I told the service writer I had checked the code-P0A80-and it was "bad traction battery" he immediately said it was "just a generic code-doesn't always mean battery-could mean anything" Pure BS of course-but typical service writer speak-
    The sensor that would have triggered this is just some glorified volt meter,right?
    Low traction battery voltage-pretty clear. The other things that would cause low BP voltage-hybrid components and covered also-probably-
    no leaks no low fluids no funny noises car seem fine(4 months back son mentioned "it seems slower" I drove it-didn't notice anything-but maybe that was the 1st hint)

What is "that mini VCI" a gadget to communicate with the car? Plug in type-add software etc?
    Yes I definitely need to get more into maintaining it
    Engine bay soooo much busier than the 98 suburban-the various electronic diagnostics-actually simplify diagnosis and repair--but the close quarters-......
    Thanks for the help
    great forum
    Charlie

8. Huelo Point Lookout Maui

Huelo Point Lookout Maui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I did have my son leave on the emerg brake while driving when I was on the mainland. It set off the three brake associated lights. The teck said because the travel was so far on the rear brakes for the pads to hit, the sensor lights went on. He adjusted the rear brakes, smoothed them down, and I could sleep through the night again. Does that make sense to you Patrick? Great suggestion on less expensive parts. Do you know a yard that one can trust to send me parts to Maui assuming I don't get to see them first. Thanks again for all the great advice here...I am learning a lot from you...much mahalo

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That blade cuts both ways.

I unfortunately tell people that have Hybrid Battery failure close but past their warranty period, you can ask Toyota for help...but the end of the warranty period is the end of the warranty period. You're at the mercy of Toyota.

In your case it's the opposite....You are still under warranty. And whether that is 45 days from the end...or day one, it should be handled the same...covered and replaced if needed.

I'd go get it documented and the ball rolling on it ASAP. And if it is The Battery failing..most likely, I'd think you get lucky and get a new one...right at the end of your warranty...actually...good timing.

10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Electric
    Yes if they replace it-40 days from end of warranty-I most certainly will have used up at least 5 years worth of good luck.

Maui-right -Patrick's salvage yard for pricy parts-great idea- new Toyota parts are PRICY! A low use wrecked car part-probaly 25% of a new part-plenty of miles years left in those parts.

Slight aside-my prius is BLACK- hate the color-but price was right-
    8 months of the year-New Orleans-it is HOT-and black is a terrible color
    I wonder if the black color hastened the BP death?? Maybe that black color croaked it a few months or years early-so it did me a big favor-
    the 8 years and 85,000 miles- hard service-ALL short trip city miles-

11. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is the virus scanners detect the driver as a virus because it is cracked software and not because it has a malicious virus. It is pretty normal for virus scanners to trigger a warning on parts of cracked software (like key generators and activation bypass components).

Patrick Wong likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess my simple answer to your direct question "How likely to replace the Battery for free" is VERY likely, almost undeniable.

Toyota's policy simply has been...under warranty..and it fails...it get's replaced. I'd document the failure ASAP, but expect that the battery be replaced.

13. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

ELECTRIC
    You were right!!
    Got a call about 4 pm-guy says "I have sorta good news for you-you were right it was the BP and the good news is you are 44 days inside your warranty-so no charge"
    I ordered the battery-it will arrive Tuesday and plan to pick it up WED- small chance it will be ready late tuesday

Toyota came thru-no BS- nice change.

Patrick- Amazon for the mini VCI- I gets lots of GM parts for the suburban-intake manifold gaskets water pump etc-on amazon-they ship very fast-I have a bicycle seat on the way from them right now

thanks again-used up all my luck for the next 5 years!
    Charlie
    PS-Great Forum

usnavystgc and ftl like this.
  14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery ECU continually measures voltage of the 14 module pairs (there are 28 modules.) If one module pair shows lower voltage than the others, the traction battery ECU will log DTC P0A80 and often will also log an additional DTC that pinpoints the failing module pair.

If the dealer tech refuses to take any action, at minimum, make sure that your repair invoice documents the presence of P0A80 so that you have proof the traction battery was starting to fail as of today.

Do a search for mini VCI on Amazon.com. It works on Windows XP (either 32 or 64 bit OS) and Windows 7 32 bit OS. However, watch out as the Toyota driver software appears to contain a virus, which I have separately posted about. Hence some of the users on this forum have a dedicated Windows XP laptop solely for running mini VCI and the Techstream clone software. The mini VCI allows you to perform just about all of the service functions that a dealer technician can do with the correct Toyota diagnostic laptop. One example is flushing brake hydraulic fluid, which requires opening solenoids in the brake actuator assembly.

Hmm, I had not heard about that particular issue before, but if the skid control ECU warning lights are off now, then no worries. Did the tech indicate what is the remaining thickness on the rear brake shoes? 4 mm is new, 1 mm is minimum thickness.

autobeyours.com is a great place to obtain Prius used parts, from salvaged vehicles. I've bought a few small trim parts there.

My three Prius all were originally sold by Servco Pacific in Honolulu as my dad was one of the original Prius early adopters. As I assumed ownership of each vehicle, I had them shipped to Long Beach via Matson ocean freight.

ftl likes this.
  15. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Guess I should re-think my ALL DEALERS are thieves
    I actually bought my prius from them Lakeside Toyota-good price-$26000 OTD($3000 was TTL-subtract $3150 TC-
    Good
    1)so 2006 $23000 decent price as gas prices were rising
    2)and in 1995 they did a good job-fair price-replacing my clutch 1986 truck
    3) 2014-so yesterdays BP fair handling
    4)Dad bought a 1969 Corolla SW-$1200 after trading in a 1964 MG1100 (fun car terrible electrics)
    an
    should make up for
    BAD
    1) 1979 selling me a truck with 10,000 miles as NEW(ATTRACTIVE SALE WOMAN)
    2)AND 1981 repeatedly trying to cheat me-bring same sales contract back-after claiming they were correcting a $2000 "mistake"
    So Lakeside Toyota Metairie Louisiana-seem to be "good guys" dealer wise-now-a-days
    Credit where credit due
    Lakeside came thru for me-
    Another dealer-on Vets Blvd- were less than good when they did inverter pump replacement
    so LAKESIDE SEEMS BETTER THAN AVERAGE-
    Thanks
    Charlie
    PS-yes I have a long memory dealer wise-
    Yes I hold grudges!

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We need to hear more about this. What was the truck model, and how did you figure out the truck had 10K miles?

Is it the dealer's fault that you allowed yourself to be distracted by the saleswoman? :eek:

17. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Nah-it was all me- male young dumb
    It was a light lime yellow green 1978 Toyota truck-and it was about 1978(lotta odd colors back then-really a garish color ).
    I told her-blond saleswoman I wanted to buy a new truck
    She showed me the truck-I drove it-never looked at the odometer-this was before the term "program cars"
    used cars were called "used cars" back then
    It was a base model-4 speed MT- 4 cylinder(all the little trucks were 4 cylinder then)
    it even had a camper top-plenty
    Well I got a loan-bought truck-drove it home-
    looked at odometer-looked at contract-
    yep staring me in the face 10,317 miles(or something like that) I called dealer-but obviously I was SOL
    Yeah-LOOK at odometer-not as sales person.
    It was a good truck-but being young-27-and reckless-I wrecked it in short order
    Next trucks-1980 D100 1986 Toyota 1994 Toyota 1998 toyota 2001 Tundra 2004 Titan- even 1998 Suburban(bought in 2007 with 195,000 miles on it) first order of business-look at odometer
    same story 2006 prius-it has maybe 3500 miles on it-but was "new"

Yeah Blond attractive sales woman- and I don't really favor Blonds!!
    Male - young and dumb !

Patrick Wong likes this.
  18. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Nickel metal hydride cells-have an inherent voltage about 1.2 volts??
    And the Prius BP- roughly 250 Volts??
    So are there actually 200 or so little cells in series??
    6 ,7, 8 per module??
    Wow-that seems kinda "busy"
    Are they soldered together?
    Too bad they aren't just spring loaded in place-like a flashlight-sure would make them easier to DIY replace
    Flip up your seat-put on the volt meter-replace those that are down on voltage-
    Granted 250 volts-you would have to be careful.

Just how busy looking is an opened battery pack? Seems like you could DIY built a replacement BP- if it came to it.

19. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, 6 cells per module, all cells in series, 168 total cells. Its really not too busy in a pack, just a lot of interconnectors.

Yes, you can do a DIY rebuild on your BP and many here have.

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One module contains six cells, with nominal voltage of 7.2V. There are 28 modules x 6 cells/module = 168 cells.

Copper bus bars connect one module to the next.

Consider that the maximum peak current within the traction battery may approach 100A. A spring-loaded setup will not survive very long with such a high current. This works in your flashlight since the bulb consumes very little power.

21. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Thanks
    So not too busy looking-and folks do DIY rebuild replace entire BPs
    Thanks
    168 cells-lotta' cells-but on the bright side much less expensive to repair replace a few inexpensive cells
    And conceptually simple to DIY build your own
    No doubt not so simple in practice-

22. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, really not too busy. If you look at the Gen I Prius Discussion (and even some in the Gen II Main Forum), you will find numerous examples of people that have fixed their BP on their own. They usually do it by replacing a module. The main reason I point to the Gen I Forum is because that BP has 38 modules (so a little more complicated). What most do is locate the bad modules, replace them, refresh the other modules and match capacity when reassembling their pack. If I ever do have a problem, that is how I intend to fix it. Some scoff at this procedure because they say its like playing whack a mole (lol) but, you can literally rebuild your pack for as little as $250. This includes 4 hobby type chargers and any modules required to be replaced. It is time consuming however. If you use 4 chargers, you can probably get it done in about 8 days. One charger ='s about a month but, if only one bad cell, the pack is fixed for about $80.

You know, we have such a great community here, I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a bunch of chargers to share with whoever needs them. I wish there was a way to set that up but, its hard to trust a bunch of people to do the right thing. I envision that the last person who uses them would ship them to the next person who needs them.

ftl likes this.
  23. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

This idea would never work as we all have different skill levels. What would take you 8 days will take some others 20 days. Imagine if you were in line waiting for this charger and someone takes 20-30 days. It would just drive me mad!

usnavystgc likes this.