1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by christinabelle, Oct 26, 2005.

1. christinabelle

christinabelle New Member

Has there been any information released on pricing for 2006 yet? I have an '05 on order due in early December but want to wait till Jan 2 to pick it up for the obvious tax reasons. Dealer is somwhat reluctant so I may have to go with and '06 instead. Dealer thinks 2-4% increase likely but I wonder if that's low...

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope. There's a thread in the main forum where there is a lot of discussion about the official pricing release for the 2006's. On pages 5-6 is where most of the pricing talk/speculation is found. Looks like Nov 17 is supposed to be the official 2006 Prius price release date per one poster who I think works with/for Toyota.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For most people, the tax benefits of waiting to take delivery in 2006 will more than offset any slight increase in price. If you are unaware of the tax benefits, do a Google search for the 2006 Hybrid Tax Credit. It is as good as about $3000 in your pocket, assuming you are not subject to AMT. And anyway, you could probably still get the presumably better pricing by sticking with the 2005 model -- just be sure to take delivery in January. I think the tax credit would still apply.

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

B) Yes, the tax credit is not based on model year just taking possession of a new hybrid vehicle on or after January 01, 2006.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    By mid-December I'd think most dealers would be happy to "hold over", at MSRP, an '05 until Jan. 2. I think by that time '05s will be seen sitting on dealers' lots all over the country. Higher-volume dealers who have, say, 4-8 '05s in December will have to choose between discounting them and not, hoping in the case of the latter that people eager for the tax break won't mind paying MSRP for them on Jan. 2.

People buying '05s at MSRP Jan. 2 or after should be aware that after the current inflated market for used Priuses settles down, their '05 will drop in value to about $2K less than an '06.

I wouldn't touch an '05, now or on Jan. 2, for less than $1,500 off MSRP.