1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 prius 44,000 miles what needs maintance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by suirp91257, Mar 6, 2010.

1. suirp91257

suirp91257 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I have a 2006 Prius with 44,000 miles on it, going on long trip and wondering what I should have checked before leaving...Anyone have suggestions on things I need to look at, thanks to all you Prius owners...You all help greatly

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check tire tread depth and inflation. If you are driving through snow, minimum tire tread depth is 6/32". Inflate spare tire to 60 psi.

2. Check windshield wiper blades and replace if worn. It's terrible to be in bad weather and find your view obstructed by bad blades.

3. Fill windshield washer container with washer fluid that will not freeze (typically you can buy 0 degrees F or -20 degrees F rated fluid at auto parts stores.)

4. Change engine oil and oil filter if the service interval will come up during your trip; or else plan to have this done while you are traveling.

5. If you've had trouble with your 12V battery in the past, think about replacing it now.

6. Pack a first aid kit, food and drink, and warm clothing to tide you over in the event you are stranded in the middle of nowhere. If you'll be driving in the snow, use winter tires or have chains available as well as a shovel to move snow and tools/parts to repair the chains as needed. If using chains you may find that using the jack to raise up the front wheel makes it easier to put the chains on, in that case bring along a length of 2x4 to place the jack upon. Don't forget your cellphone and charger.

Good luck.