1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius 67,000 mi trouble code says...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MacGyver, Oct 11, 2009.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just dropped my car off at dealer so they can check it out tomorrow. Basically got the triangle of death yesterday, along with other warning lights. The main display would sometimes show the battery charging into the green zone, but mostly stayed at 1 or 2 purple. Auto parts store read only one code this morning "replace hybrid battery pack". Drove okay for the first 15 minutes of my hour drive to the dealer, and the battery meter even went into the green and looked normal (all the warnings stayed on). But then the engine sound changed to a higher revving noise and the battery meter stayed at 1 purple bar for the rest of the way (luckily I made it). No arrows to and from the battery for the rest of the trip and acceleration was very, very sluggish. From a stop it was similar to a bicycle acceleration to about 20 MPH, then it improves slightly and I could get all the way to 60MPH, unless I came upon a hill, then it would bog down to about 50-55! Everything should be covered under warranty, so other than the inconvenience, I'm not too worried about it, but would this be uncommon with this mileage/age? I really didn't think I would deal with this until over 100K. This vehicle is used mostly on highway, would that cause it to die quicker? Any thoughts?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, it would be very unusual if your HV battery has failed at 67k.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based upon your description of the driveability problems, it does sound like your traction battery failed. The key symptoms are the wide-ranging SOC indications and lack of power at low speeds (plus the DTC that your parts store retrieved.)

I would say that highway driving would generally constitute light to moderate use, unless your commute requires substantial changes in elevation.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi MacGyver, first time poster. If HV has indeed failed, don't take any bull about the warranty. You are covered.

He'd have to get some distance from Tampa for substantial changes in highway elevation :)

5. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Before you go replacing the HV battery, verify that the 12v battery is still good. I've seen numerous threads where problems with the 12v battery can indicate various things may be bad and need replacement when it's just low voltage coming off the 12v battery. Remember the Prius is basically a mobile computer and they depend on a good 12v supply to give good results.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

There, fixed it for ya. :madgrin:

7. MacGyver

MacGyver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, dealer says hybrid battery IS bad and has one on order that will be there tomorrow. Diagnostic charge is $60, should I argue this or just pay it. He said the battery would be totally covered but called before they even looked at it to have me agree to the $60 fee (kind of on the spot-what could I say?). He wanted me to also replace the 12v battery and said that isn't covered and would cost extra. I told them not to replace the 12v, because it is only 3 years old and I can handle replacing that myself if needed. I felt like they were trying to get me for everything they could since I am sure this is costing them. So how do I know I am getting a good battery and not some refurbished junk?? I never even looked at the battery. Should I be concerned about it? In 23,000 miles I'll be paying out of pocket if this happens again.

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Diagnostic fee should be covered if it is a warranty repair.

12v battery could be near the end of its life after 3 years, especially if it has ever been heavily discharged (e.g. by leaving an interior light on )

If this happens again in 23,000 miles, you should start buying lottery tickets. :madgrin:

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is customary for the dealer service dept to quote a diagnostic charge because they don't want to waste their time without compensation if a customer brings in a car with NTF (no trouble found.) Since a problem was found and is covered under warranty, you should not have to pay the diagnostic charge. You would have to pay that charge only if NTF or the tech found a problem not covered under warranty.

Regarding the traction battery and whether it is new or not, I recommend that you tell the service writer that you want to visit the service area when the new battery arrives so that you can inspect it before it is installed. Note that the tech will have to move the battery ECU and system main relays from the old battery enclosure to the new one.

You might take a look at the 28 modules to see if they show consecutive serial numbers. This requires opening up the cover, which the tech has to do in order to install the ECU and SMRs. If the numbers are not consecutive that might be indicative of a refurb.

10. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In this circumstance I'd tell them that you know the $60 diagnostic fee is covered under the warranty, so I tell them to take that off but after thinking it over you'll take a new 12v. battery from them(as long as it's reasonable). That way if, god forbid, you still get a code or something is still not right they can't come back to you and say, see we told you what the car needed and you didn't do what we said needed to be done. Plus it's less hassle for you if the car won't start one night when you far away from home cause the 12v battery decieded to go toes up.

11. MacGyver

MacGyver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12v battery replacement quote is "just under" $230. WOW!!! I thought I might go ahead and have them put it in as suggested, but come on! I'll strap a boat battery box in the cargo compartment and put a standard size battery in before I'll pay that. As for the diagnostic charge, he gave me some line that they had to do that because the check engine light was on and that isn't related to the battery failure, but after they get the batteries in, they will confirm whether or not I'll have to pay that. The hybrid batteries are coming from their warehouse in Jacksonville and he said they are new. I don't really have time to go down and inspect them, so I'm going to have to hope they are being honest. Can I buy a 12v battery at AutoZone or Advanced???? (that will fit, of course). I thought someone told me a mazda battery would fit???

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Call the dealer's parts dept and find out what the price for the 12V battery is. It should range from $130 to $160 depending upon how much they mark up prices.

The Mazda battery is not appropriate because the battery terminal polarity is reversed so to make it fit, you'll have to install it with the terminals adjacent to the fender. Then if your RR fender gets hit you'll have a safety issue as the battery positive terminal may short, causing sparks, etc. The Mazda battery will require the terminal connectors to be replaced.

You cannot use a generic battery unless you replace the battery terminal connectors. The correct battery has smaller-than-normal terminals and has a vent tube attachment. A generic battery will not have a vent tube and will vent hydrogen gas into the passenger compartment. If that battery is liquid acid, then you'll have another safety issue in the event of an accident impacting the RR fender as the battery case is cracked and acid is splashed everywhere.

13. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  14. MacGyver

MacGyver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, well this battery thing has me on the fence. The link to the other battery above is $190 with ground shipping, so I basically save $40. for installation. I was unaware of the vent tube, so that brings up another issue with using something else. And although the battery in the link is better than standard, I'm more concerned with keeping costs down. Also, I didn't think the 12v was used to start the ICE, is that true? If so, doesn't the 12v just supply power for things like headlights, radio, fan on A/C, display, computer, etc? Also, is there any reason I couldn't hook up my 12v charger to the battery and see if it shows a charge? I just have a problem spending the money to replace something that might not need replacing, especially at this cost.

15. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the revving thing in your original post has me concerned its the HV battery, on my 01 prius the battery would show full and all of a sudden drop to 1 bar and then the engine would rev high and a triangle light and stuff would come on. since then i bought two gen 2 batteries for 425 and rebuilt the pack.

If you need a HV battery and cant afford the dealer i suggest you look at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, they have a lot of batteries.

16. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i paid 138 installed for a 12v from the dealer

17. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    These days, you can pick up a good used pack for under $500. They are not so hard to change. I'm not worried about the 100K mile limitation.

18. MacGyver

MacGyver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that recently? That's quite a difference in price. I would agree to 138, I'm just having a bit of trouble with 230.

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a big difference in price between buying from the dealer's parts counter, vs. having the dealer tech install for you with a 1/2 hour labor charge added to the price. Sandy's dealer apparently gave her a break and did not charge her for battery installation labor time.

Since you are considering the Elearnaid alternative, I assume that you can DIY install. In that case, I suggest again that you call your dealer's parts dept for a price quote. If the price is high, try the other Toyota dealer parts depts in your area. Good luck.

20. jengel

jengel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your 06 Prius, but I take umbrage at your choice of description. As a bicycle-commuter who travels with cars in traffic often I am pretty sure I can beat a fully functional Prius to 20 MPH any day. :) Good luck with the battery, I am following your progress closely as my 06 is due for a 12V someday soon.

-Jon