1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - Adding aftermarket Nav and bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kvrao2, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kvrao2

kvrao2 New Member

Hi - I bought a 2006 Prius with option package 3 and would like to add nav and bluetooth. Has anyone done this? I went to a few car audio/video stores and got different stories. Two said, they would remove the audio unit that came with the car (that sits below the display) and replace it with an aftermarket system (pioneer/alpine)... The third said, they tried this, and lost airconditioning control and instead recommended a solution with an video interface and an external speaker that would actually let the navigation display come up on the prius display, with the audio from an external speaker but without the touchscreen control...instead one would use the remote control for the navigation...

Questions:
    1. is it true that removing the built in audio system would disable the air conditioning?
    2. How important is touchscreen control for navigation

Any other recommendations/suggestions?

My preference is to go for the one replacing the oem audio...but i do not want to lose airconditioning...

Thanks in advance.

2. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good luck! MY brother just bought a package 3 and is also looking into a aftermarket gps nav.The pioneer looks good (ive seen it at best buys) but its pricey and havent found any yet who owns one.If anyone out in prius land does have one!id love to know about it and how it looks and works in a prius.There are also many portables to choose from!other theads about aftermarket gps are here! A search may help. Again! Best of luck.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have to replace the OEM right? THe AVIC-N1 (or N2) fits perfectly in the slot below the radio (the covered compartment) and I'm sure can work in conjunction with the screen.

4. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stay tuned. Hopefully in a week or two I'll have a report on the installation of the Garmin GVN 52. I plan to connect it thru the camera input to the MFD, and play the audio thru the AUX input.

5. greenlawyer

greenlawyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is an old thread, but I wanted to see if there is new input, e.g. cost, on adding aftermarket navigation system in a 2006 Prius, Option 3.

6. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Don't know if you've already considered this but, you can buy a GPS with bluetooth for $200-$300. I have a Garmin 760 that has bluetooth and traffic reporting for ~ $250. The Garmin ease of use is significantly better than the Prius bluetooth especially when it comes to pairing phones, downloading address book, etc. The only advantage of the Prius bluetooth was that it has better voice quality.

7. greenlawyer

greenlawyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks, that sounds like a good option!