1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Air Conditioning compressor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by megansully, Jun 8, 2011.

1. megansully

megansully New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just found out that the airconditioning compressor is broke in my 2006 prius and its going to cost $1800 to fix it.. I am not in the loop here but that sames ridiculously high. I mean i save money at the pump but all that money just went out the door if i get this repaired. I am really contemplating trading the car in rather than deal with that expense.. Am I insane that a 65000 mile car should not being need this type of maintenance. ??

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are right that a 5 year old car with 65K miles should not require this service. Nevertheless, since it does and the AC compressor is a special unit powered by an electric motor, the repair is quite expensive.

As an alternative you might look into the possibility of buying a salvage part; however you bear the risk in the event that the part is not operational.

If you trade the car in, the trade-in value will likely be reduced to account for the AC cost of repair so I am not sure how that will help from a financial perspective.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask yourself how much new or used car you can buy for $1800. Then get the compressor replaced and get on with life.

4. wtfjr36

wtfjr36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd get a second opinion for another dealer & also check with two different independents as to do you really need this replaced & if so, what would they charge, if they can do the work.
    Good luck !!

5. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1..if you own the car outright, MUCH cheaper to replace a compressor and keep your 50MPG then buy another car and hope the new car gets HALF that mileage....

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Salvage compressors are cheap. The trick is to find someone that can do the installation, since it involves high voltage work.