1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius and Ipod hookup....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jamesbalch, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota sure did make this easy. Went to Radio Shack and got a mini-jack stereo cable (3.5MM male to male) and a Ipod cigarette lighter charger.

Plugged them in and up came the AUX menu as a selection in the Audio section. Hit play on the Ipod and out came the tunes! The charger unit does cause a slight hum when it is charging a playing Ipod. But the Prius owners manual warns that this might happen.

Initially, I was a little confused on exactly what the AUX connector was. Then I got a flashlight and really looked at it. If I had known it was simply a mini jack connector, I would have plugged in my Ipod a long time ago!

A little reading here gave me a clue! :D

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can get a Ground Loop Isolator from Radio Shack to take care of the hum.

If you want to spend a little more money (~$30), there's a cable that has a mini-jack plug on one end and an iPod connector at the other. It's supposed to be a better audio signal that way. There's even a version with a built-in charger.

If you want to spend even more money (+$160), there's the VIAS and DICE iPod integration systems. They let you control the iPod using the MFD and steering wheel buttons. I have a 2005, and therefore I don't have the AUX connection, so I went with the DICE.

3. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 20 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]352090[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very much for the added info. The hum is tiny and is only barely audible in the quieter parts of some songs. I'm sure like anything else, one could spend a huge amount of time (and $$$$) trying to get it PERFECT. I'm not that much of an audiophile. For me, it isn't worth the effort.

I am just excited that I can use it with the same stereo system.

Thanks again.