1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by nat724, Nov 15, 2012.

1. nat724

nat724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I'm looking for some advice on a used Prius purchase. I'm looking at a 2006 Prius, black, 85-86k miles, says it's fully loaded with everything but leather. The posting price is 12,900 which is too high. I looked up the KBB private party (12,000 for very good, 11,700 for good) and trade in value (10k for very good, 9500 for good) and the Edmunds TMV which is about 10,800.

Anyone have an idea on what a fair offering price would be assuming its between good and very good condition? I was thinking I would offer $10,500 - $10,800 but I'm always hesitant to ask too far below the listing price...

Thanks in advance! I'm switching from a 2006 xterra and looking forward to the vastly better mpg!

2. Toyota Minnesota

Toyota Minnesota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Nat724,

The Prius is a very unique animal. It's not a Corolla, or a BMW. Depending on where you, l would say $12,000 would be a very good price. The battery should go 200K miles, and as long as the engine, drive train and general upkeep are in order, go for what you have found. I can't think of folks who are willing to part with their Prius', so if you can get a good one used, grab it. Just do the usual vetting with your mechanic, and forget the KBB. I'll drive my '11 into the ground. 54MPG on mine, and I'm fighting hills in the PNW. Focus on the care and feeding by the prior owner, and swallow the price. These cars are magical.

Best to you in your hunt for a used Prius.

Cheers!

3. nat724

nat724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response! I was also considering a 2005 Prius with 110k miles for 8k from an auto wholesaler, same options and they have all the service records (paint isn't great, but not a big deal). So I'm trying to decide how much more it's worth to me with 25k less miles and one year newer...I'm thinking if I can get the 2006 for 11k that would be worth it. I see what you're saying about KBB, but I'm also comparing it to the other deal I can get tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

4. sbddude

sbddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When shopping for used ones I looked at a few 2006-2007 models and many sellers in my area were asking above KBB and not willing to negotiate, claiming they had received higher offers than mine.

Eventually I found a 2010 which I was able to get for $15,700 which is what some were asking for 2007s.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. Cheddaryodas

Cheddaryodas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We just snagged a loaded '05 w/116K miles for 9500 at a Dodge dealership, sitting right across the street from Madison's flagship Toyota dealer who has the '06 comparable listed for $12,900. Check with truecar.com's recent sales logs in your area.