1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Fuel Gauge, anyone get it fixed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sfatula, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sfatula

sfatula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a new 2006 Prius, on the third tank of gas.

I have 184 miles on this tank, and, the fuel gage shows completely full. I have read other people have trouble with the fuel gage.

But, my question is this - is there ANYONE out there who has gotten Toyota to fix it?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do a search for "guess gauge" and you'll come up with lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of discussion of this topic.

short answer: there's nothing wrong to fix.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That number is a little higher than i usually see, but it's not uncommon to have a first pip hit 150. If you top off, you'll probably see the first pip be very high.

Think back to most other cars you've driven in... doesn't it always seem to take forever for the needle to move off of full, and then the last half tank of gas goes incredibly quickly? It's the same here. Everyone assumes that, because it's digital and the car has such a nice MPG readout it must be exactly correct... but it's off just as much as other cars out there.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Go to:

TSB Released on Fuel Gauge Innacuracies

In this forum.

This modification was released for the 2004 (perhaps also for the early 2005) Prius to supposedly make the "guess gauge" more accurate. It was quite extensive disassembly/reassembly and many who had it done reported no difference in the gauge's accuracy. I elected to NOT have it done on my 2004 due to the extensive work and the fact that my Dealer had not previously done this procedure.

I have not seen any information which would indicate that this same modification was released for the 2006 Prius. My opinion: Simply accept the fact that the Prius GUESS GAUGE is neither accurate nor linear. I fill my tank when I have one non-blinking pip and am not fascinated by how much or how little fuel I pump. Some Prius owners seem to want some kind of "bragging rights" regarding how much fuel they can pump.

5. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Steve,

I average 230 miles on my first pip. The range is anywhere from 220-240 miles for my first pip. It is very consistant. All the cars I have ever owned stay on full a higher percentage of the time than what is actually used. I don't think there is anything wrong...just non-linearity in the measurement system.

6. sfatula

sfatula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Sep 12 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]318514[/snapback]</div>
    Non linear is fine. I did read the other posts (many of them, there are a lot!).

The issue I am getting at then is this based on your replies - can I be confident that my display won't show 6 pips and I am out of gas in reality? I don't want to be stranded out of gas. So, in other words, does the LOW end of the gage actually work fairly well?

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve F @ Sep 12 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]318529[/snapback]</div>
    The scenario you paint is unlikely.

The top of the gas level sensor is located well below the top of the tank.

I routinely go 175 - 185 miles before I lose the first bar. Then they drop at 25 - 35 miles intervals until I get to the last four. Those drop at 40 -70 miles intervals before the last one starts flashing.

I had never run out of fuel with my Prius.

8. sfatula

sfatula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 12 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]318546[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like don't worry about it. Sad thing is this - I called the local Toyota dealer, talked to the service department, and THEY told me it sounded defective. Ugh! Lots of experience clearly.

9. Jchen

Jchen New Member

I am getting close to 200 miles before the first segment disappears.

The non-linearity in the fuel gauge might be by design as in some other
    cars such as in VW's. This is done so that the display have the highest
    resolution where it matters most...when the tank is low.

2006 Green Machine