1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius I got on March 1 is....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by supernole1, Apr 3, 2006.

1. supernole1

supernole1 New Member

the battery is down to one bar in the mornings and won't go into reverse (it'll go into drive) until it generates at least one more bar. When I park it at night it has about 75% of max battery charge. has anyone seen something like this?

2. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(supernole1 @ Apr 3 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]234336[/snapback]</div>
    Where are you located?? From what I've read here, temps can have a lot to do with battery charge. I got mine on the first of March as well and I can tell you that in L.A. I don't see anything like that. Might be time to take her into the dealer to get it checked out.

3. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(supernole1 @ Apr 3 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]234336[/snapback]</div>
    How cold is it? I know my Civic Hybrid neither uses the motor nor charges the battery until the battery is within a certain temperature range, to prolong its life. Maybe if it's really cold where you are, the Prius won't use the battery until the car warms up a bit?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(supernole1 @ Apr 3 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]234336[/snapback]</div>

Are you absolutely sure you're turning it off? There's no reason the battery would be down that low in the mornings unless you leave it in Park and READY mode and it's just draining the battery down then the ICE runs minimally to keep the battery from being completely drained.

If you're sure you're shutting down completely then you need to take it in to have it checked...definately not normal.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(supernole1 @ Apr 3 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]234336[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Supernole1,

It almost sounds like you are leaving the car on. Say, in drive, with the parking break on, or in park with the AC on. Also, if you leave the hatch incompletely latched, that will leave the interior lights on. Which may then run down the battery. Although there would probably have to be some more drain that that to bring the main battery so low. The rear hatch being aluminum is somewhat underweight for the gas springs, and one has to really close it hard.

Do you have the Smart Key System? I cannot help you with that.

Make sure you hit the "POWER" button to turn off the car.

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

If you're saying you parked it last night with 75% charge and this morning it shows something like 15% charge -- I'd say arrange a visit to the dealer ASAP. This baby needs looking at right now.

7. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You do not indicate what package you have and whether you have the Smart Key System. If you have SKS you need to worry about where you store your fobs...if you store them within 15 feet (3 meters) of the car at all times you can run down the battery.

If you don't have the SKS and you are actually turning off the car (and not leaving it in ACC), then follow other folks advice and take it in!

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    guys, leaving the hatch open and having sks will not affect the SOC of the HV battery...they're totally seperate....ok, mostly.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'd guess the car is being left on overnight.

the car backs up by running the electric motor backward, which requires the HV battery. that explains the reverse problem. now the questions turns to the battery.

make absolutely sure the car is off when you leave it. if the car is off, then something's up with the battery control system. however, you should be seeing some kind of light on the dash to indicate a problem... which is why it sounds to me like the car isn't being turned off at night.

best thing you can do is to take notes about this in case you need to take it in. note the following:
    time of day car was parked
    temperature
    bars on battery meter
    mpg reading
    time of day car was restarted
    temperature
    bars on battery meter
    mpg reading
    along with any other things you feel may be important.

10. supernole1

supernole1 New Member

Thanks for all the inputs and ideas guys!

FWIW, I live in north Florida so it's definitely not cold temp related.

I think I've been turning it off at night. All the lights go off as well as the MFD so i assume it's off. I'll check twice tonight.

I do sometimes go straight from Drive to powering off. Is that ok or should i go to Park and then power off?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(supernole1 @ Apr 3 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]234414[/snapback]</div>

Straight from drive is fine.

BTW, turn the headlights off manually before shutting down...there's a small battery drain if you leave them turned on even with the car off.

12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a fault to me. As long as the car is turned off (or even in ACC or IG-ON modes, where the READY indicator isn't lit), the high voltage battery is disconnected by a couple of big relays. You can hear them go clunk-clunk in the back when you stop and start the car. Thus whatever you do with leaving lights on etc can't affect the main battery; at worst you can drain the 12V one, thus requiring a jump start.

There should not be any appreciable overnight drop in indicated charge level - at most you might see it 1 bar lower in the morning occasionally.

If it really is acting as if the HV battery pack is draining overnight, you've either got a battery fault or some sort of sensor problem in the battery management system. So take it back under warranty pronto - it may be an expensive fix, but make sure you're not paying.

13. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 3 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]234438[/snapback]</div>

Really? I just assumed you need to put the car in park before turning it off. With any other car, you would never turn off the ignition in drive.

My feeling on the subject is that it takes virtually no effort to press Park before powering down, so why chance it?

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amyshubby @ Apr 4 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]234628[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius isn't "any other car". The transmission isn't controlled mechanically as it is with other cars...there is absolutely no mechanical linkage b/w the shifter and the transmission...it's purely electically controlled.

There is nothing being left to chance. If you push the power button and watch the gear indicator on the display you'll actually see the indicator jump from drive to Park just moments before the car powers down.

No, it's not very difficult to push park first, but it's even less difficult to just hit power and it's perfectly safe to do so.

15. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 4 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]234633[/snapback]</div>

I stand corrected.

OK, so here's a follow up question: With other cars you are supposed to wait about 10 seconds after you start before driving (I guees for the oil and other fluids to get going). I know you don't need an extended time for the Prius to warm up, but do you wait at all, or just press and drive?

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Press and drive. It is a good idea to be gentle for the first few minutes until everything warms up, but sitting for any length of time with it "Ready" and not moving just wastes gas.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amyshubby @ Apr 4 2006, 08:30 AM) [snapback]234634[/snapback]</div>
    As Richard said, no point in waiting. The ICE will start about 7 seconds after "READY" regardless of what you do. The way the Prius HSD works MG1 (motor Generator #1) spins the ICE up to over 1000 RPM before the ignition fires--this allows the oil to circulate and completely avoids all the trouble with conventional ICEs that use a small starter and fire the ignition immediately--before the oil pressure has come up. Pretty fantastic huh!

18. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I left a light on in my car overnight this past weekend. When I started up the next morning I was down to one pink bar. It took 5-10 minutes for the blue bars to show up.