1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius just randomly won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jake Whisenhunt, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jake Whisenhunt

Jake Whisenhunt New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got in my car this morning and I pushed the start button. All of the lights came on on the intrument cluster and multi-information display. It also started beeping. I also noticed it showing that I was on E for fuel when it is full.
    My car is in my garage. Is there anything I can do to reset it or something so that I can get it started. Ugh

2. padrignola

padrignola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same thing happened to me, no solution yet. I had damage to my front drivers door and I replaced it from a junked car. I got the beeping you described. By depressing the switch in the door frame which tells the system the door is closed the beeping stopped.. It worked with my finger so I clamped it. the door is open, but the clamp has stopped the beeping. The lights in th cabin looked dim to me so I turned them off. I wonder if I have replaced the door at the same the starting 12 v battery has gone out. Mabey disconnecting the door's power connectors and replacing them is the cause. Any ideas?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12v neg cable for 15 seconds, it resets the computers.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're on the original 12v, you should replace it whether it's bad or not. save yourself a headache in the future.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep.

Please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight. Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat). If you're on you're original 12 volt, it's VERY likely near or at end of life now.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: