1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius - Left Front rotational squeaking noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Conarymor, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Conarymor

Conarymor New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius (150K miles) with a noise coming from the drivers left wheel. It is a hollow metallic squeak that only occurs while the vehicle is moving. It sounds like the wheel is making brief contact with something metallic at the same point on every rotation. The pitch of the squeak increases with the speed of wheel rotation. It does so while rolling, with breaks and without. The noise gets louder when turning right, and softer when turning left, though it begins to get louder again when the wheel is turned hard all the way left.

The front pads have just been replaced and the wheel bearing at 90K miles. I am thinking it must be something else rubbing making the noise. It doesn't appear to affect driving performance. However, I am worried something is at risk, possibly nearing failure due to the friction causing the sound. If nothing else, it is loud and embarrassing when driving in my neighborhood. If I can't figure it out, I am going to take it to a mechanic next week.

Any thoughts?

~ Dave

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take the wheel off and look at the thin metal shields around the brakes. They may have picked up some debris and got bent. If you aren't noticing any drag then hopefully the brakes are OK. Otherwise, it does sound like a bearing issue even though it was replaced not long ago. Not all bearings are created equal, and some after market parts can be quite low quality.