1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius making intermittent popping sound and reduced gas mileage.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hyaduck, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hyaduck

Hyaduck Junior Member

:) First Post,

I will try to relate to you what my wife told me.

She was driving and she turned onto another road this morning and the Prius started making a popping noise which lasted about 30 seconds. She normally averages about 42/43 mpg but it is down to 37 mpg. She said she has noticed since yesterday the Prius did not drive the same (I am assuming she means the power). The Prius is a 2006 with about 105,000 miles on it. Nothing has ever been done to it since we purchased it new in 2006 except oil and tires.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide,
    Harry

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Throttle body & MAF cleaning and replace trans fluid and Inverter coolant. Replace spark plugs with careful inspection of spark plug wells especially if you park outside as many posts about water dam leak under windshield allowing water to hit top of engine and getting into spark plug wells shorting out ignitor. Evidenced by rust stains in well and corroded ignitor connectors.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I assume Toyota service has completed recall service Inverter coolant pump replacement.
    You can review the sticky thread above on known problems with Gen-II to see if anything causes pop noises.
    One known problem is main coolant water pump leaks, and many get it replaced under extended warranty.
    I am just watching mine to see how it goes. Not saying this causes popping. If it is back-firing noise possible bad fuel in the tank but that is rare.

Hey...just noticed a similar thread going another person has this. Bad CV joint is mentioned. Search on knocking sound during turns.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  4. Hyaduck

Hyaduck Junior Member

Thank both of you. I do now remember a recall and them changing the Inverter coolant pump even though ours was still good. It is do for the throttle body and MAF cleaning and the Tranny and inverter coolant service and was planning on that in 500 miles when the next oil change is due. I will also look for the rust stains and check spark plugs. I will try to recreate the noise while I drive and see if I can feel anything in the steering wheel.

Thanks again,
    Harry

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your welcome. Do that maintenance and your good for another 100K and they'll probably find out whats making the noise also.

Meg&Bear likes this.