1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius MFD GVIF Video Input

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Dec 12, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I just got done messing around with this device that Dominic from www.TVandNav2Go.com sent me and I can say that it works! This device converts composite video as well as a RGBS signal to GVIF. I was able to test the composite but not the RGBS. I'm sure we can send a 800x480 signal into the RGBS and get full res from our display. If not I'm sure the res will be high enough for the can-view. It does have some problems or at least my unit had some problems. In the pictures below you can see some lines on the right hand side of the display. I dont know what causes that but it shows up even when there is no video input. I'm guessing is has something to do with the analog conversion. A chat with Dominic might help here.

Since this device has RGBS input from my understanding this will allow us 2006 Prius owners to use the can-view on our screen. At least the older version. Maybe the newer version with a few conversions. We just have to make a few modifications to get that to work. For an example we would need some connectors for the the GVIF cable and if you need your factory NAV there would have to be a switcher box to switch between the NAV and the can-view. I would be willing to do away with my NAV because I will be installing a car PC and the PC would be my NAV. For the new version of the can-view I would only need some connectors for the GVIF cable and a MFD to USB converter for the touch screen input.

I've been working on this all day and getting pretty tired. I'll let you guys talk about this while I get something to eat. I'll try to answer any questions tonight if I have time.

PriusChat.com I'm not using my reverse video and this is no photo shop. See there is no "Check surroundings for safety" at the bottom of the screen. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See whats possible! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the problem area. This will need fixed before this product is %100 ready for the 2006 Prius.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my mess.
    [​IMG]

The converter.
    [​IMG]

The home made connector.
    [​IMG]

2. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! Lookin' good. Any chance the screen problem could be solved by shielding of the cables? It stays in one area doesn't it.

Is the CAN display of the program that Ken sent to you?

Wish I could play with this project. I'm just too old to get down and play around with the dash. A few hours and I'd be sore for a week. Good luck.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Great work Force!

4. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 12 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]361174[/snapback]</div>
    Awesome. It could be the glitches are due to the home made connector, a more robust twisted connection might eliminate that. Could you post exactly which model it was that Dominic sent you as well as what it cost? Oh, and how big is this unit? What kind of power source does it use?

I assume you'll write up some more details on how you made the connector when you get a chance?

<eager>

5. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

Excellent work! I was hoping someone would be hard at work on a solution.

I would also like to know which model and the cost. Their website leaves a LOT to be desired (like, just say no to the midi muzak) and I couldn't find information about this type of mod.

Also, what about those of us without Nav ('07)? Can this still be made to work?

Vince

6. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Dec 12 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]361196[/snapback]</div>
    It is my understanding from what I've read that the 07 uses the same MFD, but I'm not 100% sure on that. :)

7. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Dec 12 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]361200[/snapback]</div>
    I know that the '06 and '07 screens are supposed to be the same. My question is actually whether those of us without NAV can look forward to using this solution.

Vince

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Dec 12 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]361187[/snapback]</div>
    Not that I know of. When messing with the GVIF end I would get digital noise. These lines look analog and may be a problem with with the analog conversion or it might be a problem with my unit.

No but that program does look cool and if I can get a can-view hooked up to my mfd I might have to go that route. What I did was download the pics of the can-view and displayed them on the MFD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Dec 12 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]361193[/snapback]</div>
    Its actually for the 2005 Range Rover Discovery and I think the price was $499. Its about 4x5x1 inch. It uses 12v.

Well it was made from the end of a USB cable. Got the idea from Cheap!. This home made connector will not work for everyday use. What we need is a real connector for this device.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Dec 12 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]361196[/snapback]</div>
    I wont be able to help with that since I have NAV but i'm sure its possible some how.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been waiting to hear back from this group - they contacted me about posting their product on PriusChat, I told them that we could work something out. I offered to review their product for them on my 2006 Prius but haven't heard any response.

I forward to hearing more from you, Force.

10. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 12 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]361218[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch. That's a little rich for my blood. Maybe if they get a REAL good group buy going... :)

11. domoftvandnav2go

domoftvandnav2go New Member

Hi theforce
    Hope all is well.
    Thanks for testing the unit. I think I know why you have the lines you spoke of. I think its because the laptop and Car don't share the same ground. If you don't mind please test the unit with car car dvd player that is powered from the car. I think you will find that the lines will disappear. Also did you ground the shield wire on the cable??? Please call me and we can discuss several options. Also there is a way to also keep your nav gvif and video gvif (Gvif switch). I can tell you how to hook a relay to the unit to make everything happen automatically. I didn't wire it for you because we weren't sure it was going to work. Please call me at 718-763-7367. I am sure that we can make this work 100%
    Thanks Dominic www.TVandNav2Go.com B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 12 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]361174[/snapback]</div>

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 12 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]361218[/snapback]</div>
    I've hit that snag before with live video feeds displayed on an operator Emerson DeltaV station. Except in my case the glitch was wavy lines in the bottom 1/5 of the screen. Tried everything: different connectors, new cabling, different cameras, heavy drinking, etc, the artifacts wouldn't go away.

Then one of my co-workers suggested the video card in the operator station. It had some barebones geforce card, we stuck in an ATI Radeon 9550. No more artifacts.

I can't explain it. We've never been able to replicate that exact problem in the lab. Fortunately, heavy drinking has erased most of it from my bitter memory.

Seriously, doublecheck the connectors again. No issues with bonding/grounds?? It's usually a simple thing that trips you up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(domoftvandnav2go @ Dec 12 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]361249[/snapback]</div>
    Beat me to it.

Where's the smilie for two beer glasses clinking together??

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(domoftvandnav2go @ Dec 12 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]361249[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I dont have a dvd player but I can do the next best thing. I'll route my front camera to this device. It has the same ground as the car. The only thing that makes me think its still the unit is because when switching between the different inputs it still gives that same problem even with no video signal. When switching between the inputs it has what input you selected in the top right of the screen and this area is messed up even with nothing hooked up. But I will give it another try. It might be next monday or tuesday before I get another try at it.

I'll try to call you some time this week for more info.

14. domoftvandnav2go

Hi theforce
    Did you ground the black wire that is with the red and white??? Also you should have grounded the shield of the home made connector. We don't have this problem on the Range Rover, so we shouldn't have it on the prius. It appears to me that Denso is using the same Nav in the Range Rover, Prius and Camry. I need someone to test it on the Camry. I will help in anyway I can to help fix this problem. I am also sending Cheap a unit to test.
    Thanks Dominic www.TVandNav2Go.com :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 12 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]361264[/snapback]</div>

15. slvr_phoenix

slvr_phoenix Tinker Gnome

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wicked! Cool! This looks to be very promising indeed! :)

Now we just need a way to get the touchscreen data back out of the MFD (preferably through USB or serial) and write mouse drivers for Windows and Linux so we can have fully-integrated in-car computers! :D

16. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

What a cludge connector- but good work Force! Are we sure that the GVIF connector is not just a low-cost version of a SMB coaxial connectors they us in cars with the snap-lock plastic housings? Fakra I think is the name for them? SMB's with 4 GHz performance should be more than enough for 1.5 GB/s (750 MHz 1/0 NRZ pattern) signalling. Is there a ground spring wire on the side of that jack? Cannot believe its not a coaxial connection!

17. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. Just got finished doing another test. I grounded everything and every connection was as good as a connection as possible. I used my front camera as a source this time but I still get that line through the screen. That line actually is a duplication of about 1 inch of the right hand side of the screen. As you can see in the picture below. I believe this is a compatibility issue with the converter and the Prius MFD. Cheap! is getting a test unit shortly and hopefully will provide us with some more info.

[​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Phoenix @ Dec 14 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]362240[/snapback]</div>
    Yes someone needs to do this. I unfortunatlly dont have enough programming or electronic experience to pull that off. :(

You know I would love to have just a RGBS to GVIF converter so I could hook up a can-view to the MFD. I would gladly give up my NAV for this. I plan on installing an in car computer with an in dash LCD touch screen. I could use the PC for my NAV if I need to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Dec 14 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]362549[/snapback]</div>
    Yes its definitely GVIF. :( <_<

18. domoftvandnav2go

Hi theforce
    Hope all is well. Please call me when you get a chance. I want you to send that unit back and I want to send you 1 of the older units. On the older units you can adjust screen position, colors and other options that our new unit doesn't have because there was no need for it. The older unit will give you better control of the display. Please call me at 718-763-7367 or email me at [email protected]
    Thanks Dominic www.TVandNav2Go.com :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 18 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]363879[/snapback]</div>

19. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do we know the exact resolution of the MFD display? And what resolution was being output from the laptop (800x600?). And the root question... were they the same?

I ask, because if the MFD has fairly single purpose circuitry (as one might expect in a display hardwired to a constant source), and is expecting a signal just shy of 800 pixels wide (such as 768, or some other number), it could be failing to dynamically adjust the display width. The end result on a digital system not designed to accept varying resolutions could look very much like what those photos were displaying.

Have you perhaps tried varying the output resolution of the laptop (say, down to 768, or 720 wide) to see if that has any effect on the image?

Just two random cents...

-Ken

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Dec 18 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]364029[/snapback]</div>
    Well I have this problem no mater what input is selected. This unit has different inputs that can be used and when you switch between them it tells you what input your on in the top right had of the screen for a few sec. This is in the same area that I'm having problems with.

As for the laptop resolution it was 800x600 but the output was from the composite out I have. I cant change it since its composite out. :( Since this problem I'm having is on all inputs even when there is no signal I'm guessing the problem lies in the converter box.

From what people say about this MFD it looks like the res is a standard 800x480 LCD Touchscreen resolution. If I had a VGA ( or RGBHV ) to RGBS converter I could test the resolution of the laptop screen to see if this device will output the true resolution. I can output standard LCD 800x480 with PowerStrip. But first we have to figure out the line problem. I would really like to find a VGA to RGBS for cheap or see if I can get a loaner because the RGBS is what I really want to tap into. Anyone have a VGA to RGBS converter that can loan it to me? Or know of a cheap place to get one?