1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius MFD Touchscreen failure- help, please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EBSteve, Sep 30, 2013.

1. EBSteve

EBSteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have read these forums until my eyes are crossing. I have 2006 Prius Package 6 (according to the original manufacturer's sticker)- no nav, JBL 6-disc CD changer/ 9 speakers. I bought this Prius used, knowing the MFD did not respond to touch. I'm trying to determine the best way to get this fixed- (awaiting feedback/repair est. from Luscious in SF, CA). I live near San Jose, CA. I also have a $1500 repair estimate from a local Toyota dealership -would go there as a last resort. I prefer independent garages if i must take it somewhere.

I've considered buying a used unit from an EBay seller but want to make sure I get the right one- have done a little salvage yard checking and it looks like maybe a non-JBL unit (non-nav) and a JBL unit (non-nav) are not the same... Can anyone please confirm? I have no way of determining this MFD's part number without ripping and tearing, and I'm a little hesitant to do this.

But- If I get brave and remove the existing unit, I believe I could send it to Steve in Indiana for repair- but would like to know if there's a way to confirm proper unit (without dash disassembly) so I can be sure he can fix it if I go this way.

Or- Peef (this forum) had indicated he might be able to repair but I don't have a way to contact him directly.

I just want to get this fixed.

Any assistance/comments appreciated.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Peef is the one who does these repairs for Luscious Garage.

JeffD

4. cthorsman

cthorsman Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW I just found an excellent youtube on pulling the dash for mfd and radio.

Google: youtube prius gta car kits

5. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    anyone put a finger on why/whats failing in the MFD?
    I'm toying with the idea of swapping out just the LCD.

6. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius MFD
    though it is an excellent write up, my xxx-230 didn't seem to have the solder issues and it looks like fijutsi or whoever makes the board changed things up so the solder thing is a non issue, that or I need a microscope...swapped out the only electrolytic capacitor(25v 2200uf) that looked like it would have failed, pulled connector pins out with a needle. and nothing... I don't think it's the LCD and even if it was its cost prohibitive; cheaper to get a salvage.

#6 yups, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015