1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Multiple Misfire after Ignition coils/spark plugs tested and replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sethilton1, Jul 15, 2018.

1. sethilton1

sethilton1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

I'm new on here, but I couldn't find a specific thread that looks at my current situation. I've gotten the codes for multiple misfire, misfire on cylinder 1, and misfire on cylinder 4. The engine definitely shudders like a misfire, so I started treating it so (starting with the easiest fixes). I moved the ignition coil from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on and so forth to see if the codes would follow. They didn't, so I tried the spark plugs next with the same sort of test and no change. My next thought is to test the fuel injectors to make sure that they're working correctly. Any idea of how to test them myself or other thoughts on where I should look next?

2. Petrodollar

Petrodollar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Don't forget to also check the cables to the ignition coils and fuel injectors.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm pretty sure it's the injectors causing your problem

@ChapmanF has been writing quite a few threads on this issue and the testing method, I think you can pull then and test it with a battery.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have a scantool, get the codes erased first. Might be the ECU is seeing that those parts replaced aren't connected to their various wiring harnesses.

Testing the injectors are easy.
    You just need a 12V battery, a digital meter, an injector cleanerand some connectors with wiring, that would properly fit into the fuel injector assemblies individually, when you rove them from the fuel rail.

Here's how:
    1. Remove the injectors from the rails individually
    2. Connect each of the injectors individually to the connector wiring harnesses
    3. Connect the other end of the wires connected to the injectors to the battery +ve and -ve poles
    Be careful not to allow the connections stay long, lest you burnout the coils in the injectors.
    4. You could get a helper to help with holding one of the wires to either the +ve or -ve poles before testing them if you want to service them for instance.
    5. Gently tap one of the wires on the injectors with one of the battery poles, as you simultaneously apply the injector cleaner.
    You should see some kind of spray pattern as you service them. At the same time, you should also hear some clicks as you contact the wires on the battery pole(s).
    6. You can also do resistance or continuity test using the multimeter, and comparing the results with values from either alldata, or toyotdiy.

Dxta

#4 Dxta, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018