1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius no light and no power after parking back in garage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by John jong, Dec 23, 2019.

1. John jong

John jong New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is it just bad ACDelod 12v battery, or something caused the 12v battery discharged?
    Bought used 2006 Prius, ran fine for 10k miles (it is 120k miles now).
    Replaced 2 cells for the red triangle. Ran HV battery life test and parked it back in garage. 1 hour later, it doesn't have power and no light.
    This is newly bought ACDelod 12v battery came at 12.4v.
    Car engine can't start at 12.4v. I had to charged it to 12.85v to get engine starts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    it probably just wasn't charged up before purchase. a lot of places don't understand that a resting battery will slowly discharge.
    keep you eye on it until you're comfortable that it's not a parasitic drain.

3. John jong

John jong New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks.
    I took the new 12v battery out and charged it to 12.95v.
    put it back in, engine starts now.

2 new questions come out now.
    1. The car powers on for 1st press on power button (brake is depressed): all lights stay on dashboard and power button has solid amber light (seems like car is in IG-ON mode). I has to depress the brake and press power button on 2nd time to get engine starts (ready light shows up and other warning lights disappear).
    In user manual, it stays "after reconnect 12v battery, switch to N in IG-ON mode.
    Do I need to do that after reconnect the 12v battery to get engine starts by pressing power button once?

2. I used Dr. Prius app to check HV battery life, it shows around 36% capacity left with poor balance for upper voltage about block #3, #6 + poor balance for bottom voltage about block #8.
    Do it mean entire HV battery pack (28 cells) need to be replaced, or the battery pack still good for a white after replacing block #3, #6, and #8?

Thanks

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) not that i know of

2) just the bad modules, but you have to go with a whole balancing act if you want it to last for awhile.
    if you just replace modules, you'll likely be doing it over and over, but it's random, and depends on the contion of the rest of the modules, and the voltages of the new ones.

5. John jong

John jong New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you.
    Just a update, all the problems are related to the newly bought 12v battery from Amazon less than 15 days ago. I never through bad 12v battery can cause error for hv battery.

I replaced the entire battery pack, but Dr. prius app shows the battery pack only has 14% life.
    I took the 12v battery out again, charged it up to 13.1v. Left it sit for 20 minutes without anything attach to both positive and negative terminals. It measured 12.77v.
    Carried the battery to local autozone, battery was tested bad.

Bought 12v battery from autozone, put it in, car starts fine, and Dr. prius app shows the same battery pack has 89% life.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

12v battery can do strange things to a prius computer

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not really that strange when you understand what is going on. I'll wager that Dr Prius is not able to detect an abnormal drain in the DC/DC converter nor take that into account.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i just mean relative to a straight gasser, which treats the 12v a bit differently