1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius/Pkg6/Tampa Bay FL/11-27-05

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by tetris, Jan 8, 2006.

1. tetris

tetris Junior Member

Well I ordered a Prius back on 11/27/05 and put down a deposit, but
    told the dealership I didn't want to purchase it until after the first of the year
    because of the tax incentive. I ordered a pkg 6, plain with no addons.
    Some problems however are in play: 1) Pkg 6's in this region appear to be
    non-existent at least for the moment - who knows if they will be getting any
    in soon and if so in the plain pkg with no addons (I'm told there are only 3 pkg 6's in the whole SE region right now 2) Dealer I ordered the car from
    has a pkg 7 coming in but will cost about $2k over what I agreed to for the pkg
    6. Another dealer tells me that pkgs 1, 4 and 7 are the easiest to get and
    the wait could be months for a 6. Meanwhile this second dealer shows a higher MSRP than it showed on the one I ordered. I assume this is because first dealer's
    MSRP was for a 2006 in late November 2005 and the MSRP has gone up since then. 2nd dealer's pkg 6 price is about what I think the first dealer's price would be for a pkg 7. 2nd dealer can get a pkg 4 for about the same as the plain pkg 6 I had ordered at the first dealer. I really have no desire for a package 7 as I don't want or need the DVD navigation system. I have a Buyer's Order from the first dealership with the cost of the car written out based on the MSRP at the time of the order. However stamped on the page it has "Vehicle is sold as equipped", then the MSRP price, "Price includes", then they wrote in N/A, then stamped under that it says "Nothing Owed, Nothing promised". I'm not sure what the nothing owed, nothing promised refers to but that doesn't comfort me having that on there.
    Meanwhile the clock is ticking on the tax incentive. So my question to anyone
    that wants to offer an opinion is: Would you wait and try to get a pkg 6 from
    the original dealer and hope it comes in time to get in on the tax incentive?
    Or go ahead and bite the bullet and pay $2k difference between the
    6 and 7 at the first dealer get the pkg 7 instead effectively cutting the tax incentive to about 1/3 of it's original value? I have done some checking of
    my own looking at websites for Toyota dealers across my state and it appears
    the second dealer is telling the truth regarding the 7's being much more plentiful
    than the 6's.
    Isn't buying cars fun? Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Have you looked at any of the threads about the likely timing of the benchmarks for the tax reduction? Looks as if you're good for 100% through Sept.

Are you willing to buy in another region, and perhaps have to travel a couple of hundred miles to pick up your car? Even with a shortage of #6s in SE, it's the most commonly-sold package, that is, most regions have it. Can you buy, for example, in Mid-Atlantic, which starts with VA?

3. tetris

tetris Junior Member

Jack,
    Thanks for the reply. No I hadn't seen the threads discussing the timing of the
    tax incentive. That makes me feel better - at least now I feel like I have a little breathing room. As for buying from another region - it's possible but not likely.
    I don't travel in my job or anything, so I would have to buy it and have it shipped.
    One problem I mentioned in my first post is since I ordered it back at the last
    part of November apparently the MSRP has gone up. I have a copy of the window
    sticker showing the MSRP when I ordered on 11/27/05 and the second dealer I
    went to over the weekend showed me a window sticker for a plain jane package
    6 for a 2006 prius and it was almost $2000 more than the price from the first
    dealer. Seems suspect to me... I don't think the MSRP has increased that much,
    but thats what they showed. (This was also with NO market adjustment fee - it was supposed to be MSRP only). So, if I can't get the package 6 from the dealer I
    originally ordered from, buying somewhere else looks like its going to cost me
    more. Another thing that changed from when I placed my order it appears is
    the difference between a package 5 and a package 6. When I ordered you had
    to get a package 6 to get the 9 speaker stereo with 6 disc CD player. Now according to the brochure you get that in a package 5 also. Looks like the only
    difference in a package 5 and 6 is in the headlamps now as far as I can see from
    the brochure. So a package 5 would suit me fine too but they are just as uncommon as package 6's. Well, at least I have hopefully through September.
    That will hopefully allow some time to get some in. I hope we are able to keep
    up somehow on where they stand on how many are sold so we know ahead of
    time if we make the cutoff. I'll be monitoring the forums here and keeping in
    touch with my dealer to make sure they don't forget about me!

4. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even my dealership, over here on the East Coast of FL, doesn't show ANY Package #5 or #6 coming in. Most of them are #3 or #7:
    Toyota of Stuart
    I wanted a Package #4, but have settled for a Package #3 coming in any day now. But, I paid MSRP for it, NO MORE, and have them remove all the pricey options before it hit port. You really need to acquaint yourself with what the REAL MSRP and package prices are before you go back to either dealership:
    2006 Pricing