1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius rear camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jtmhog, Oct 20, 2005.

?
  1. Yes I want rear camera

100.0%
  2. No, I do not want rear camera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 Prius #2 and above comes with rear camera. I think that's a stupid idea.

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_< It's certainly kewl but I'd prefer it as a dealer installed option rather than bundled into the packages.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've seen the rear camera work really well for the conventional Lexus SUV, and I think it would be a neat gadget to add to the Prius, but I'm not sure how necessary it would be. The close-proximity rear visibility is already pretty good, what with the two rear windows and all.

Of course, to each their own...

4. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

According to your own poll, it appears you're in the minority. Not that I disagree with you...

5. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

As a valet at a hotel this summer, I found that the rear camera systems were very helpful in the LX470, GX470 and the LS430 models...However, I don't think they are necessary for the Prius. The only reason I think they did it was because the wiring was already there, and it was just something to add...

6. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I want one! I think the visibility out the rear windows is lacking.

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I added my own after-market rear-view camera for $400 + my own labor.
    Its main purposes are
    - to see what is behind the bumers and below the rear hatch window (invisible to a driver)
    - to see how far your bumper is to the vehicle behind yours during parallel parking

Overall, it's $400 well spent if you ask me. The installation is quite involved (maninly the wire routing). It will cost you an-arm and a leg to have it installed by dealers. It costs much less when installed at the factory.

8. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd rather have safety-related content that works in both directions like the EU rear discs, larger wheels and tires, and extra driver's seat adjustments.

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_< The wiring could be built into all packages (like the security system) with the expensive part, the camera, installed at the dealer.
    That way you wouldn't have to shell out $400 for something you may not want.
    I think the device is cool but I would not opt to pay $400 to get it if I had a choice.

<_< I think Toyota is only choosing to bundling this into packages to boost profit.

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I WANT SK/SE but DON'T WANT a rear camera. Too bad for me. So what's my extraneous, mandatory gadget going to cost me, Toyota?

Think I'll paint a little inscription near the license plate saying "You are here", with an arrow pointing at the camera. Should be good for a few middle digits.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Karl Smith invented a simple plate glass rear view mirror with 120° viewshed in 1970. Time magazine did an article on his mirror in 1972. Three pieces of plate glass - no buttons, no electricity, very wide angle of view. Excellent pupilimetric response for lane changes.

Putting a rear-facing camera on a vehicle is a major step backward and shows a lack of reviewing current literature (so you don't end up reinventing the wheel). Smith's mirror ran across the top of the windshield. Vision was so good, when you put your arm out the driver's door window, you could see your arm in the rear view mirror. This resulted in almost no blind spots and extra safety.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm curious, is the camera view normal or reversed?

13. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My wife's MDX has one. I love it. Not for use during normal backing, mind you, but for the safety of noticing smaller objects (metal poles, children, etc) in our California mall parking lots. Also invaluable for parallell (sp?) parking!!!

14. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In order for left to be left and right to be right, they would have to reverse it... although since they're not out yet, nobody will know...

15. 06prius

06prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I presently drive an MDX and it has the rear camera. While I questioned the usefulness of it when I bought the vehicle, after roughly 3 years of having it, I like it. With that, I do not think it is stupid that the Prius has it. I actaully am surprised that it comes with packages that do not include the navigation but whatever.

16. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would think that there might be a sizable majority of Prius drivers who would enjoy driving the interstate and city streets while the Prius is in reverse therefor a rearview camera would certainly be an asset......... :unsure:

17. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is called, "reverse camera" because the image is reversed (left-right). Usually, it has wide angle len (120 to 150 degree) like a fish-eye view. On top of that the camera has to be sensitive to low light for use at nights. Your backup lights do not emit much useful light for low-end cameras. Usually 1lux for color (day) and 0.1lux for B/W (night) should be good enough. The camera I used (SAVV 2000NC) is rated at 2lux color and 0.2lux B/W. I am not entirely satisfied with it. :(

About Karl Smith's mirrors... I have never seen them. Do they work at night also? Can they help you see small objects behind you on the ground? Is 20/20 eye sight required to use them? It would be nice if you could find a photo to show me (probably others, too). :)

18. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Um, I think it's called "reverse camera" because it only activates when the car is in reverse gear. I doubt it'a got a fish-eye lense because that destorts the image too much.

19. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So far, most people who has seen my backup camera like it and wish to have one on their next vehicles. It sounded just like when NAVI just came out and most people thought $2000 is a waste of money (my wife did!). Backup camera is getting popular, I am sure.

In fact, a couple is suing Infiniti for not making it standard because they ran over their own kid in their Infiniti SUV while backing up (it was optional, but they didn't take it). Safety was my main concern for installing one myself on a 2005 Prius. I have young kids in my house. The thought of hurting them while backing up worries me a lot. According to the poll so far, 80% of people love it.

20. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ROFLMAO! :lol:

I agree, it's a reverse camera because it operates while the vehicle is in reverse. The camera is not a "fish eye" lense which causes distortion, but in fact a "wide angle" lense, which allows you to see as far as possible to each side from the center of your rear bumper, where the camera is typically located..