1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Rear power window malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eddy2014, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Eddy2014

Eddy2014 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

I was closing the rear window of my 2006 Prius 2 days ago, and it suddenly rolled all the way down, fully opened , and would not go back up. Does any one know if this could be a motor problem or a power window switch panel ?
    Thank you.
    Eddy.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check for obstructions... Then try disconnecting the 12volt battery for a few minutes, which resets everything and the window system will re-learn what's closed and what's open.

If that doesn't work next step is to take off the door panel and see if you can see anything that's out of place inside the door.

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does "suddenly rolled all the way down" mean it went down at the normal rate or that it fell into the door?

If the latter there is probably a mechanical failure in the door. When that happens you might be able to lift the glass with your fingers, or a palm on each side, but not move it with the motor.

If it rolled down like you were holding the button I would start by examining that switch in the driver's door panel (assuming that was the one you were pushing, if it was the one on the door itself, look there.) The switch might not be bad, it might just be jammed by some grit. This may sound ridiculous, but try slamming the door where the switch is located a couple of times while pushing on the switch up or down. It might dislodge whatever is sticking it in that position if that is the problem. (Do NOT slam the door like this if the glass fell in rather than rolled down. It could be bad, real bad.)

maleko and Brian1954 like this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does the window "not go up" if you try the switch at the rear door as well as the driver's master switch?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. maleko

maleko Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    you either need a window regulator, window motor, window switch, or some combination of those things.

If you are lucky it might just be the interface where the window glass attaches to the "hand" of the regulator that mechanically guides the window up/down.

I had to re-glue my front driver's side window due to that attachment point failing.

I think I used either gorilla glue or E3000 (AKA: Show Goo). GG is more rigid, SG stays flexible and is very tough and durable.