1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius review dissected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Russell Frost, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I take apart yet another thumb fingered review from Consimer Affairs on the Prius Owners Group this morning. If you have a spare moment, check it out. I would also love to hear your take on the review and my snarky comments here or on the POG pages (link below in the sig line).

Thanks!

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like the bit

It probably does not mean the car is slow, just that it takes "forever" for it to get low on gas and needs to go to the gas station. :D

3. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ice weasel @ Jul 14 2006, 06:44 AM) [snapback]286147[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like the keyword is "little". Could there be a compensation issue here?

Speed also seems to be a problem - instant gratification rears its ugly head...

4. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

My biggest problem with the article was when they commented that "none of the computer savvy reviewers could start the car without consulting the owners manual".

Car reviewers should be trained to avoid these types of inane comments. They are not useful in the slightest to someone who may be interested in buying the car. Why? Because this is an extremely temporary issue that absolutely doesn't matter after you have driven the car ONCE. Its like saying "I could find the fuel filler latch release lever, or some such. Who cares?! Once you find it, you've found it forever more.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ Jul 14 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]286194[/snapback]</div>
    It matters a tons to Valets, those guys at Pep Boys who change your tires, friends, etc. If they can't figure it out, it's no good.

I have nightmares about taking my car in for new tires because of this very issue.

6. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ Jul 14 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]286194[/snapback]</div>

Might as well say the reviewers couldn't find the key to start the car as they were used to only having to kick the horse in the sides or pop him with the reins to start him up.

7. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Overall, I liked the article even though I feel it's poorly written. As evidenced here in topic replies, some sentences have double meanings. Also, I find it strange that after 7 days with the car that they still refer to it as "small". They must all drive Escalades.

Ice; It's quite apparent that you've become biased against these folks. They come right out and tell you that they tried their hardest to obtain poor MPG results, yet state they were basically unable to do so.

8. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uggggh.

I have never heard of consumeraffairs.com. After my first visit, I don't think I'll be going back.

I have just filled up for the 7th time. I am averaging 49.2 calculated and 49.8 on the MFD. That's a difference of about 1.1%. I drive the same roads the reviewer drove. I don't drive aggressively (never have), but I also don't "putt" along.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jul 14 2006, 07:55 AM) [snapback]286202[/snapback]</div>
    You are not alone. I never heard of this outfit until I read of it, a few months ago on PriusChat, when they were drumming up support for suing Toyota for falsely advertising the Prius' fuel economy. I have done some searching since. The site appears to be nothing more than a tool intended to generate, solicit and promote class action lawsuits.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jul 14 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]286233[/snapback]</div>

Well, at least Consumer's Affairs lets you read the article. The above link gets you all the way to the article and then says that you must pay-subscribe to read it. It's not that I'm cheap (be quiet back there!) but I really feel put upon that after subscribing to the print version of the magazine since 1964, I have to re-pay to see articles on-line. Time.com magazine lets me on for free with my print subscription.

The part of the article I liked best said "But try to drive the Prius like a Porsche and you will be disappointed." You know, I felt this same agony when I bought my new Mercedes several years ago. I bet our Governor Arnold mutters the same thing as he tries to draft by a Ferrari in one of his seven Hummers.

I didn't buy this car to win at Daytona. Part of the whole point of this car is to slow us down to subsonic speeds and accelerations that don't require a g-suit.

Even he (the author) had to admit the car was "a hoot." Can't say that about too many!

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    “At the end of seven days we filled the tank. We had driven 298.71 miles. The Prius took 6.59 gallons. That works out to 45.2 miles per gallon.â€

At the end of a full week, these three bozos were incapable of doing a car review in which they used at least one full tank? They ended up using a little more than half a tank. <_<

“. . . the little car takes forever to get to the filling station so it will help if you like the hybrid in between fill-ups.â€

Yep, biased is as biased does. Their preconceived notions of what every car should be kept them out of the car for most of that time. Between the three, they had driven 298.71 miles in a week. That equates to 14.2 miles per day per person. They must really hate their jobs.

I don't know about you, but if someone gave me the use of a new car, free gas, and paid me to drive it . . . ROAD TRIP! See you in 2.333333 days when my 1/3 of the test week expires. :p

“the little car†Do they use the same phrase when they are test driving a Porsche? Thought not. :rolleyes:

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]286256[/snapback]</div>
    Randy Kramer, my almost neighbor, tells me that pilots are cheap.

;)

As a subscriber, I keep getting offers from Consumer Reports to access their website for only a dollar a month.

14. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ah, yes, ConsumerAffairs.com. I hold a special place in my bowels for this website. I really wish they'd stop pretending to be a news organization. It gives the rest of us who actually went to journalism school and obtained the four-year degree a bad name.

Some of my most memorable threads:

Prius Runs Amok After Stalling, Hits Tow Truck:
    - http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12593
    - http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14596
    - http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14707

Prius Owners Question Mileage Claims

Lawsuit of the Week - KILLER PYREX

ConsumerAffairs.com Writers Lazy, Resort to Plagiarism

Stuck Accelerator?

15. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 14 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]286296[/snapback]</div>

Well Randy would know! Love that guy. For years after he retired he showed up at the TWA terminal in his full Captain's uniform to assist passengers that needed help. He did this for free until TWA got bought out by American. He's one of my heros.

Do you think I'm driving a Prius so I can throw my dollar (a month) away to CU? That's a third of a tank of gas: 15 miles! Now if I could get the airline discount at CU, that would be different.......

16. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]286256[/snapback]</div>
    Is free good when the article is worthless? Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to pay for something worth reading that has an unbiased and objective review of products?

17. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]286344[/snapback]</div>
    After the buyout, Randy went back to "work" for American Airlines in T4. However, he took a voluntary furlough, two years ago, on the day on which the last of the former TWA flight attendants were furloughed by AA.

18. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

Consumer Reports is 4 sure OLD media..no savvy consumer under 70 reads that lame old rag anymore., much less makes an actual descision based on what they write.

19. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a friend that knows a guy with a cousin who was married to this guy who once shared a booth at a restaurant that had a nephew that was only 25 but was subscribed to Consumer Reports to look at their reviews of products before they buy.

Hint, hint: I made up that story, but there really are young adults who read Consumer Reports.

20. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jul 16 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]287035[/snapback]</div>
    Is 41 young? If so, then count me in. Otherwise, I guess I am one of the old farts that reads that magazine.