1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Shifting problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Julia McDonald, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Julia McDonald

Julia McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a 2006 Prius that up until now hasn't had any significant issues. Today, while backing up, I stopped completely and tried to shift from reverse into drive. I depressed the gas pedal slightly only to find that I was still in reverse. I also noticed a weird sound coming from the dashboard yesterday morning while stopped at a light. I can't really describe it except that it sounded like a washing machine (closer to the end of a cycle, when the clothes are sort of sloshing around). My close friend, who drives a (used) 2007 Prius has the same shifting problem, but her car does it almost every week whereas I think this is maybe the first time that it has happened to me. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? It might be user error as I was in a rush, but it was really scary nonetheless.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just make sure that you are completely stopped with your foot on the brake before shifting. I have gotten too fast with that at times, as the habits learned in a clutch type car come back from time to time.

The sloshing sound you are hearing is due to clogged drains in the rain gutters below the windscreen. Leaves and whatever have accumulated and the water is trapped.

The Electric Me likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the "Add Fabric Softener" light come on?

Actually this is one of the reasons I am one of the few that really like the reverse beep. Seems like most can't wait to disable it, while I like the reminder I'm in reverse as long as I am in reverse.

Sorry, I really don't have an answer, but if it happens again I would definitely have it checked out.