1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius SKS Fob LED works but Car doesn't respond

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by okiedokie, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to retire my old SKS fob because the case was ratty and the Alarm button got lost. I bought a new case and put the electronic module in the new case, but it still didn't work. I put it in a drawer for a year without battery power and forgot about it and used my second Fob. I pulled the retired one out of the drawer and put a battery in it and to my amazement the LED works. However, the car does not recognize it or respond. Is there a way to re-establish communication between the car and the fob? It did work for several years. I really don't understand how the SKS works.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you probably didn't transfer the rfid chip, which is in the other half of the old case.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Bisco,
    Thanks for the reply! You were correct, I had not transferred the RFID chip, but, alas, when I did insert it into the new case there is still no response from the car either wirelessly or by inserting the fob in the key slot. Does the RFID chip go bad just sitting around? Is there a way to know what the fob is transmitting, or even if it is transmitting? Maybe the LED is lighting without the fob actually tramsmitting or receiving?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shouldn't do.

It does seem that for one reason or another a fob can become "deregistered".

As you have working fob, you could try to re-pair the original fob to the car by using the "chicken dance" procedure. Search on Chicken Dance by usnavystgc to find the thread that has the procedure,

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi dolj,
    Thanks for your input. I'm going to try it before buying a new key. What is the power source for the RFID chip? It's not attached to the battery, and has its own little space in the fob.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think they need power, that's why you have to be in the slot. but i'm not positive.
    are you saying this is the rfid chip from your old case?
    maybe you should test the key battery. just because they are new, and the light lights, doesn't mean they are good.
    i have never heard of the rfid going bad, and don't know how to test if the fob is transmitting.
    was the old fob with the broken button still working?

7. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Bisco,
    It's been over a year and I think the old fob had problems. I don't specifically remember. However, I have had partial success re-registering the key. Following dolj's advice I tried the "chicken dance" with the working fob and the unregistered fob. Procedure A was successful, and the fob now functions to start the car when it is in the key slot.

When doing Procedure B, steps 1-9a go just as they ought to go. Step 9b is the fly in the ointment! There is no response from the locks after doing step 9b, even more than once. So, I have partial functionality. Is there any way to tell how many keys have been paired with the car? I bought it used so have incomplete history of number of keys that were once paired. But the question then is would it have been able to complete Procedure A successfully if the number of keys had been exceeded? And if I now get a new fob and try to pair it will I have taken away one of the possible pairing opportunities with the partially paired fob? It's complicated when one has so little information about the details of how the system works.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does use power and gets its power by proximity induction, just the same as pay wave credit cards or proximity access/transit cards.
    While the first statement is true, the second isn't. If the red light lights solid, it means the battery is good. If it flashes, it means the battery is weak. If it does not light, the battery is dead.
    Yes, it can be seen in Techstream. You can also "remove all key except this one" using Techstream and I believe you can also use Techstream (as long as the cable you are using can connect to the correct (K??) line) to register new keys. I have read where some people have access to this and some others don't.
    I don't know, but lean towards you wouldn't be able to do this if all slots were filled.
    I'd be leaning towards possibly, yes.
    Have you read the last few pages of this thread? I think there have been some posts where people have worked out some information about how the system works. May be in the last 5 or 6 pages.

Sorry can't be more help, but hopefully one of the people who have figured some of this stuff out will chime in.

#8 dolj, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi dolj,
    Thanks, this explains some of my questions. I have been reading the thread, but have not got that far yet. I did see one post that said the RFID chip is not subject to the 5 car limit. I downloaded the Techstream software but it appears to be for dealers only. It wanted Dealership info first thing when I launched it. I'll continue looking at the thread when I have a moment.

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My problem has been solved. I'm posting this conversation in case it helps anyone else with a problem similar to what I had:

2006 Prius SKS Fob LED works but Car doesn't respond
    Mark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
    1. [​IMG]
      doljSenior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius

I downloaded the Techstream software but it appears to be for dealers only. It wanted Dealership info first thing when I launched it. I'll continue looking at the thread when I have a moment.
      Hi Okie,

From where did you download Techstream? and what version? I would avoid any versions above v10.xx.xxx, as they changed something to tie the software closer to the Toyota website, and it seems cannot be used offline like the earlier versions.

If you did not buy a cable you will not be able to use Techstream as you need to connect to the OBDII port to talk with the car's computers.

There is a good thread on the TundraTalk forum to the ABCs of Techstream/cable installation:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/3662490-post975.html

Section ____Second_____ has some good cable options. In addition you may want to look at VxDiag:

VXDiag VCX NANO for TOYOTA TIS Techstream V12.10.019 Compatible with SAE J2534

In section _____Third_____ is a link to a dropbox from where you can download different versions of TS.

In regards to the looking like dealer software, it IS the dealer software so hence why it looks that way. The screen to which you refer, you can enter anything you like in the fields Things like email, website, dealer address, etc can be left blank, nothing is validated.

Here is a link to a video that shows the installation process:

Download video MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream V9.30.002 Software Installation Video MP4, 3gp, mp3 gratis - Youtube Converter Site

Let me know how you get on, and if I can help with any questions, I'll try my best.

What-is-mpg-illusion
      Hybrid Warm up: 5 modes of Prius Operation.
      Hypermiling technique: Pulse & Glide in Gen II - CleanMPG Forums
      Gen II Prius individual battery module replacement - A good howto overview thread.
      The Toyota Prius DIY Resource: PriusDIY.com
      Brake Caliper Slide Pin Cleaning and Lubrication
      Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles, Who's affected and what you can do about it.
      Down under tire info: Best tires for Prius in Aus/NZ

* [​IMG] * [​IMG] * [​IMG] * [​IMG]
      dolj, Jul 19, 2017

2. [​IMG]
      okiedokieJunior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius
      Model:
      II
      Hi Dolj,
      This is great stuff! Thank you so much! I just ordered a MiniVCI cable and they have ver 10.30.029 of the Techstream software on their site. The original one I got was from Toyota -Tech EU. Not sure what version it is. Will now await the cable and see if this can solve the problem. Meanwhile I'll continue to try to educate myself using the resources you have provided. The TundraTalk setup info will be a big help, I'm sure.

okiedokie, Jul 19, 2017

3. [​IMG]
      doljSenior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius

The original one I got was from Toyota -Tech EU. Not sure what version it is.
      The software from Tech EU is bona fide and is always the latest version so probably v11.xx.xxx or v12.xx.xxx, I forget where they are up to. Probably why you had problems.

I downloaded the version I have (v9.xx.xxx) and v10.xx.xxx from there and installed V9 just like in the video link I attached. No TISKEY.exe, no copying menu.exe or any other work arounds. Just updated the INI file as shown.

Don't worry about whether to install the driver first or TS first, driver then TS is better (IMHO), but if you do it the other way, just check the INI file before running TS.

They also say to select Europe in the setup, do this, but I'm not sure it is necessary. I changed mine to Other when I ran TS and selected my own country (NZ) and it works fine. So, if you want to, you can change it from Europe later.

If you are running this on a laptop that is not otherwise a spare one that can be dedicated to just running only TS, I'd seriously consider running TS in a VM (virtual machine), just so if it all goes pear shaped you can blow it away and start again. On a dedicated laptop you can just reformat the HDD and start over too. My experience of windows is uninstall never really uninstalls back to the way it was before the install. Just some thoughts, use as you wish.

Good luck with your new cable.

Cheers.

What-is-mpg-illusion
      Gen II Prius individual battery module replacement - A good howto overview thread.
      Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles, Who's affected and what you can do about it.

dolj, Jul 20, 2017

4. [​IMG]
      okiedokieJunior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius
      Model:
      II
      Hi dolj,
      It is version 12.10.019. The one I got from the person who sold me the cable is 10.30.029. I've removed 12.10.019 and will install 10.30.029 when my cable arrives. That ought to be here sometime next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

I went to the Toyota dealer today to just check their prices. $213 for the fob, and $200 to program if it is the Master key. Only $100 if it's the Secondary key! The independent locksmith with whom I spoke later, says he'll program a NEW key for me for $80 if I bring him the key. He has one in stock if I want to buy that one the whole job is $225. Says he doesn't know about Master key and Secondary key. Whatever it is he'll do it.

Thanks for all you have done to assist me! I can hardly wait to get the cable and the software running so I can cut through some of the BS coming at me!

okiedokie, Jul 20, 2017

5. [​IMG]
      doljSenior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius

I went to the Toyota dealer today to just check their prices. $213 for the fob, and $200 to program if it is the Master key. Only $100 if it's the Secondary key!
      That's why I recommend you buy one from one of the online Toyota dealers. Their mark up is less, and if you buy out of state there's no sales tax. Prices I've seen quoted here are ~$110.

The Master vs secondary is the fact that there is more expense and time if you have no key at all (master) – new key and reseed code – as opposed to just making a copy (secondary), the same as you can do with the Chicken Dance.

Thanks for all you have done to assist me!
      No worries, us Prius guys got to stick together.

What-is-mpg-illusion

dolj, Jul 21, 2017

6. [​IMG]
      okiedokieJunior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius
      Model:
      II
      OK, I got the cable today and fought with the software screens my AV software threw at me. It looks as if only 2 smart keys are registered number 2 and 3. for some reason 1 is missing. The Utility for the Smart Key has only 3 functions Erase all registered keys (except the one in the slot, I suppose), Reset the code, or Register a new key. I started the Erase all registered keys, but didn't want to really do that yet. However, it did confirm there are 2 keys. There is a time limit in which all the steps have to be done. I wish I knew what all the steps are. I would feel a lot more confident. I DO NOT want to damage or erase my existing key!! One cannot query a specific key, at least I did not see a way to do that.

Anyway, the battery on the computer I was using went low, so, I had to quit. Next time I'll try to re-register my non working key, Key B. If that fails, I'll get a new one online and register that.

BTW, I got a message saying the ver 10.30.029 version of the software is obsolete as of Sept 12, 2016 and an update was required but I just clicked the update button and kept going without letting the browser connect, and somehow managed to get it working. It also wanted a network connection and told me I can run it only another 29 times without that. I do hope I'm finished doing what I need to do before that!! The anti virus software was freaking out about all the stuff the program was doing. I guess I'l just disable it next time to save myself that grief. That, and make sure the computer is plugged into the mains. I'm not sure if I ought to upgrade to the 12.10.019 ver.

It would be nice to have a really reliable, easy to use, non-restricted version of the software. I did discover when poking around in the systems that one of my tire pressure sensors threw a code. No telling what else one might find given a little more time. I didn't run a Health Scan, but that looks interesting.

Anyway, cheers. TTYL, and thanks again!

okiedokie, Jul 22, 2017

7. [​IMG]
      okiedokieJunior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius
      Model:
      II
      FWIW, if there is an internet connection the software checks for an update and notifies you ver 10.30.029 is obsolete. And the only option is to Update the software which means going to the Toyota site and having to sign in to get the update. If the internet connection is not available then the software notifies you that you have, say 26, more times you can use it without a network connection and that some features will not be available. I was unable to get the existing old FOB to register, so, next step is to get a NEW one and register that to the vehicle.

The procedure to register includes a timed portion which requires you to within 30 sec.
      1. Press the lock button on the registered key, 2. Press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the unregistered key for 1 second, then 3. press the lock button on the unregistered key. My old FOB was not recognized. I tried it several times.

okiedokie, Jul 23, 2017

8. [​IMG]
      okiedokieJunior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius
      Model:
      II
      Hi Dolj,
      I'm writing to report success with my new key! Got it today. Used the Procedure A to first register the immobiliser chip and then used the techstream software to register the Smart Key portion of the FOB. Did not see the immobiliser part of the Techstream software until I had already registered it with the Chicken Dance procedure. Could have used the immobiliser portion of Techstream to register that, but the Procedure A of the Chicken Dance seemed easy enough.

I'm really glad I got the MiniVCI cable and the Techstream software. There is a lot to explore using that software. BTW, the number of run times for the software meter reset itself to 29 and gave back some uses. It looks as if it will be even more useful because of that.

The Smart Key programming didn't go a smoothly as I would have liked. Had to press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the new key twice and watched the screen for confirmation it had been registered. I thought it was going to fail on the first try, but it registered with about 2 seconds left on the timer.

So, I'll begin using my new key and keep the old one for backup. Thanks so much for the assistance! Maybe this conversation can be posted somewhere to assist others. I'm not sure how to do that, but maybe you are.

okiedokie, Thursday at 9:15 PM

9. [​IMG]
      doljSenior Member
      Start a Conversation

Vehicle:
      2006 Prius

I'm writing to report success with my new key! Got it today.
      Congratulations, I'm pleased you got it all done ok.

BTW, the number of run times for the software meter reset itself to 29 and gave back some uses. It looks as if it will be even more useful because of that.
      I'm sure there is a parameter that can be reset in the INI (or a INI) file that you can set to give more offline uses – I seem to remember seeing someone saying it at one point – if it ever fails to reset of its own accord.

Thanks so much for the assistance!
      no problem, my pleasure.

Maybe this conversation can be posted somewhere to assist others. I'm not sure how to do that, but maybe you do.
      Probably the easiest way is to cut and paste anything you think is relevant, or may a summary, from this conversation back to the thread from where we started.

All the best,

What-is-mpg-illusion

dolj, Friday at 7:45 AM