1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius: Strange noise under the hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hoofatt, Mar 12, 2006.

1. hoofatt

hoofatt New Member

Hi everybody,

I just bought a 2006 Prius on Jan 14 and two weeks ago a metal object tumbled under my new car and punctured the underbody. I had it repaired and after the repair I started noticing funny noises under the hood sometimes when I accelerate and decelerate (it doesn't happen all the time.) The noise sounds like a cat purring or maybe it is a grinding sound.

I took it into the dealer and they told me that the sound is normal. They said that a lot of customers come in because they hear strange sounds from their engines and are scared. They told me that it is my E-CVT that causes this noise and not to worry since my car would send out a whole bunch of warning messages if something was wrong. However, I have read almost all of the messages in this forum and nobody has addressed this particluar engine noise issue.

Has anybody been heard a grinding sound from their Prius' engine? Is the dealer telling me the truth? Could the body shop where I took my Prius to be fixed have done something to damage my car? I am worried.

New Prius Owner

2. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

There is a normal noise that is made by the brake compressor.

Because the Prius's engine is not always running, the power brake system must keep the brake fluid pressurized using an electric compressor.

You'll hear this compressor every now and then when you press hard on the brakes. It can also come on at other times when it thinks the compression level needs topping off.

The sound of this compressor from inside the car could conceivably resemble a "purr" sound.

Give a listen when you step on the brakes... it won't always happen, but it should coincide with the brakes now and then... perhaps that is the noise you hear.

If you can tell the compressor noise is different from the new noise you have been experiencing, you should definitely have things checked out.

- Bob R.