1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Stuck in Park

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by peanutmac, Aug 31, 2008.

1. peanutmac

peanutmac New Member

Our 2006 Prius will not start. Put the key fob in the dash and gas gage and shift indicator flash.

Called AAA to flatbed to dealer in Fresno, BUT because car will not start, we can not place car in neutral to roll to flatbed.

Any one have any thoughts on how to safely move car to flatbed?

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying when you hit "ON" with foot on brake, car electronics wlll not come up and allow you th shift into Neutral????

When I had my only problem, multiple trouble lights and Red Triangle of DEATH popped up, but I could still shift ONLY into Neutral.

If you can not get that far, you are going to have to be dollied by a standard tow unit!!

Good luck, let us know what the out come is!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

3. peanutmac

peanutmac New Member

Fact is my wife has the car in Fresno so I am getting this via phone. I have to hope that she is giving me all info.

She states that car will not start...foot firmly on brake, push power on firmly and get mutiple flashing lights along with triangle of death.

Can not get car into neutral.

AAA brought flatbed but no dollies...so now the plan is to leave car in place until Tuesday, call local dealer and have them come out with dollies and move to dealership to repair.

Anymore thoughts on this would be great.

dave
    AF6IY

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    you do not need to start it

put it in ignition on mode (NOT READY) by pressing the power button twice without foot on brake, then you can press the brake and put it in neutral

if it won't go into neutral then, then i do not know, heh

you might have to hold the shift lever in neutral and keep it there for a little bit to get the car to shift

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's quite possible that she made the "timing" error by not having the brake entirely depressed when the power button was pushed. That comes from experienced owners becoming sloppy, not paying close enough attention and rushing.

The fix is simply waiting for the system to reset. You stop touching everything. Wait. Then push on the brake, wait some more, push the power button, then press PARK.

As for the towing service, that's pretty bad if they don't offer an old-fashion front-wheel-up tow.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dave,

Did the AAA guy try to jumpstart your wife's car? Maybe the root problem is that the 12V battery has insufficient charge to get the Prius electronics booted up? Your first post alludes to this likelihood since you say the fuel gauge was flashing.

Your wife should be able to shift into N if she can make the car IG-ON (where all instrument panel lights are on and the car is not READY.)

If not, the solution would be to remove the parking pawl assembly mounted to the transaxle - but this is going beyond what your wife or the tow truck driver could be expected to do.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it too dangerous to drag the car up onto the flatbed? I would have thought that the tires should slide well enough on the steel bed.

But yes, the first thing is to just sit and decompress for a few minutes, then try again to start it in a calm unhurried manner. If that fails, then have a Toyota dealer send someone to jump start it. And if *that* fails, then a dolly tow.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Could be a low 12 vdc battery. Use caution jump starting a Prius, as its pretty easy to fry the inverter if you reverse the polarity

9. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    hmmm....

if the 12v was weak, then wouldn't that cause parking brake to actually release??? anytime my battery is a little weak, that's the first indication that pops up, the dreaded your parking brake is abnormal, please block your wheels, and as soon as the 12v is running at normal voltage, the parking brake comes back to life

will have to wait until tuesday for the speculation to be over to find out what happened, i guess.

i still feel it would of been possible to get the car into neutral by putting it in ig-on mode