1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius sudden death ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Glenninmerida, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Glenninmerida

Glenninmerida New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys I looking for some education please. I have a 2006 Prius with about 60000 miles on it. Always done great. But I let it sit about 6 months. The 12 volt battery is only about a year old. When I tried to start it I got the red triangle of death and other warning lights related to charging system. I had AAA come jump it off and jumped right off. Drives fine. All the warning lights remain on. 12 volt does not appear to charge as I’m unable to start the vehicle once I kill it. I jumped it off and drove to the Toyota dealership . They said the Traction battery is done and the 1 year old ( 250 dollar special Toyota battery ) is gone as well. 3500 dollars to replace. How likely is it it working fine and both go out same time simply setting ? Is there something else I should be looking at ? Thanks folks !!

Glenn

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After 6 months of sitting your 28 modules in your hybrid pack no longer have matching voltage... Most likely this can be resolved by battery reconditioning, which you can either do manually one module at a time by pulling out the battery pack, taking off all the bus bar connections and then discharging each one and then recharging via a smart charge that they use for charging RC planes, boats and cars. Or you can do all 28 modules at once via equipment they sell here: hybridautomotive.com/pages/faq

As for the 12volt... Isn't there a one year warranty or something? What a piece of junk! Good news is the most common AGM wheelchair battery, which is also the most common computer backup power supply battery that they sell at Batteries Plus for $130 is way better than the garbage battery that cost $250. Only challenge is getting some longer bolts and some bushings so you can mount Prius terminals on the battery.

The reason mechanic says you have to replace Hybrid battery pack is because they work on cars and not electronics and too stubborn to learn basic high voltage battery maintenance.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call Matt at Texashybridbatteries.com and he'll fix you up